This post was last updated on November 18, 2014 to include new images.
During the week, I am a happy camper to have my usual bowl of cereal with whatever fruit is on hand (usually bananas, strawberries or blueberries) along with my large cup of coffee for breakfast.
I probably could eat that every morning.
Dustin, on the other hand, has a self-imposed expiration date for how long he can eat a particular type of breakfast. He will have his protein shake phase, his McDonalds phase, his granola phase, his banana phase, his “I’m too good for breakfast” phase, and so on.
This makes buying milk, cereal and fruit a regular battle each week as I am never sure if he will want what he wanted the week before…but that’s another story.
Enter: easy banana nut muffins.
A wonderful use of extra bananas that never were eaten because, yes…you guessed it: Dustin stopped eating his cereal and bananas this week.
These little guys are great for breakfast (he happily took two to work this morning).
This is a pretty simple recipe and the muffins come out perfect: soft and dense, filled with banana flavor and nutty goodness.
Sometimes, I sprinkle some crushed walnut bits on top of a few of them before baking and that adds a nice little touch as well.
This recipe is quite easy to make—you don’t need a mixer or to dirty many dishes either. It’s an all-around winner for everyone.
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ⅛ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the butter into the mashed bananas.
- Mix in the sugar, egg and vanilla.
- Add the baking soda and salt and stir to combine.
- Add the flour and mix until just incorporated.
- Fold in the chopped walnuts. The less you stir the mixture at this time, the fluffier the muffins will be when baked.
- Pour mixture into prepared muffin pan lined with cupcake liners or greased with butter or vegetable oil.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until golden brown and once a knife inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean.
- Allow to cool on a rack.