Dustin has been asking me to make chicken tacos for months now.
Thinking about it, I’m not sure why it took so long. I mean…I’ve made fish tacos, homemade taco seasoning, and shredded beef tacos and those were all fabulous. Oh, and I haven’t been able to share my green chile pork tacos with you yet, but stay tuned for those, too!
But, for some crazy reason, I’d never made chicken tacos.
Then, on a whim one day, I went to the fridge and decided to make chicken tacos. Because it was time. And Dustin had asked for them for too long.
And, frankly, because I wanted some chicken tacos.
Because, after all, we’re talking about chicken tacos, here.
My favorite way to enjoy tacos is with lots of deliciously-flavored meat, topped with fresh and vibrant sauces, and then wrapped in the perfect tortilla.
So, I looked in the fridge and miraculously found everything I needed to make a fresh pico de gallo. Because I heart pico de gallo. Perfect.
The stars were really lining up because I also had everything I needed to make a creamy chipotle lime sauce to drizzle over the tacos. I think just a touch of this yogurt-based sauce adds a little spice and creaminess to the tacos that is amazeballs.
Speaking of amazeballs, as you can imagine, these tacos are very easy to gobble down. And, while they’re pretty darn healthy to begin with, if you’re following a clean eating lifestyle, you could replace the chicken thighs with boneless, skinless chicken breast. Or, you could just enjoy the chicken thighs 😉
Also, for those clean-eaters out there, you could use lettuce wraps or look for super high quality corn tortillas that use as little ingredients as possible. They exist and they are worth it for these babies.
Since we’re on the topic of corn tortillas, let me get on my soap box for a quick sec. Why are corn tortillas at grocery stores so awful? Like inedibly awful. What’s up with that?
If you can get your hands on some good quality corn tortillas, do it — they make all the difference and can really make a taco great.
Okay, I’ll step down from my soap box now. And go make more chicken tacos for Dustin. Yum!
- 6-8 chicken thighs boneless and skinless*
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 1/4 tsp kosher salt divided
- 2 tsp ground black pepper divided
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes diced
- 1/4 red onion finely diced
- 1 tsp jalapeño seeds removed, minced
- 2 lime s, to yield 1 tbsp. lime juice, divided
- 3 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 tbsp ground cumin divided
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt plain
- 1 1/2 tsp chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, use the adobo sauce from the can
- 1 tbsp almond milk plain
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder granulated onion
- 6-10 corn tortillas good quality*
- Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet and let that get hot. Season the chicken with 1 1/2 tsp. salt and 1 1/2 tsp. pepper and place into the hot oil. Cook about 4-6 minutes per side, or until well-browned and cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking, make the two tasty sauces: a quick pico de gallo salsa and a creamy chipotle lime sauce.
- ￼For the pico de gallo, combine the diced tomatoes, diced red onion, finely chopped jalapeno, 2 tsp. lime juice, chopped cilantro, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper, and 1/4 tsp. cumin in a small mixing bowl and stir well. To let the flavors meld, pop the salsa in the fridge.
- To make the chipotle lime sauce, in another small bowl, combine the greek yogurt, adobo sauce (from the chipotle in adobo sauce can), 1 tsp. lime juice, 1/4 tsp. salt, and almond milk and stir together until smooth.
- Once the chicken’s cooked, remove from the pan, set on a cutting board, and dice into small, bite-size pieces. Then, return to the same pan.
- Make the taco seasoning blend by combining 2 1/2 tsp. ground cumin, paprika, chili powder, powdered garlic, and granulated onion.
- Heat the chicken back on medium-high heat, add 1 tbsp. of the seasoning blend, and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring to coat well.
- To assemble these delicious chicken tacos, grab a corn tortilla, fill it with the seasoned, diced chicken, then top it with the pico de gallo, followed by a light drizzle of the creamy chipotle lime sauce.
For clean diets, you can use chicken breast instead of chicken thighs and choose high quality, refined grain-free corn tortillas.
This post contains affiliate links for products I use regularly and highly recommend.
I've got your dinners covered this week
- Get my FREE 5-Day Meal Plan plus...
- Organized grocery list to save time and money
- Helpful cooking tips and tricks
- Free videos on forming better cooking skills
- Kitchen conversion and substitution charts