Believe it or not, cauliflower can be added to pretty much any dish you want, from your favorite curry to burritos. Cauliflower makes a delicious low-carb option. Trust me, after trying my 10 Easy and Delicious Cauliflower Recipes, you’ll never look at a cauliflower head the same way again!
Is there anything cauliflower can’t do?
I’ve asked myself this same question before, and still, every time I’m cooking cauliflower, I manage to surprise myself. A head of cauliflower can go a long way. I simply love it and, as you already know, I don’t like to overcomplicate things. Just look at my Easy Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower recipe alongside some lean protein like chicken or fish — cauliflower helps to make any meal a well-balanced, quick to make, and absolutely tasty meal.
The great thing about cauliflower is that it’s so versatile! You can turn it into pretty much anything you want, which is just perfect if you want to still enjoy your favorite comfort food like pizza or even burgers (yes, burgers!) while maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
HOW TO COOK CAULIFLOWER
The mild flavor of cauliflower makes it perfect for so many different cauliflower recipes. Since cauliflower is so adaptable it is easy to create many delicious cauliflower meals. The possibilities are literally endless when it comes to cauliflower recipes.
Oh, the possibilities! I don’t even know where to start the how to cook cauliflower discussion. The simplest way would probably be to just boil it on the stove or steam it, which will preserve all the healthy nutrients. Cooked cauliflower makes a quick veggie side dish, but can also be used to give that extra punch of flavor to some of your favorite dishes. I love adding it to my Cauliflower Cheese Sauce.
REASONS CAULIFLOWER IS SO HEALTHY
Cauliflower is often considered one of the healthiest foods because…
- it’s an excellent source of natural antioxidants
- provides high levels of vitamins and minerals.
- it’s low in carbohydrates
- and high in fiber.
This means that, not only will adding cauliflower to your diet helps you stay on that healthy path, but it will also add a great, creamy texture to your dishes.
HOW TO PREPARE CAULIFLOWER
Forgive yourself if you’ve ever felt a bit intimidated when looking at a head of cauliflower. Holding a large kitchen knife in your hand, if you don’t know where or how to start to get those pretty, bite-sized florets, it can be a little overwhelming. The good news is that it’s actually easy once you know how to cut up cauliflower. Just follow my simple steps for how to cut cauliflower into florets.
- Start by removing all the leaves that may be covering up the cauliflower head.
- Grab a large knife (preferably a chef’s knife if you have it, but any other large knife will do, too) and cut the cauliflower head in half, from top to bottom through the core.
- Continue by chopping the halves in half. This is the best time to wash your cauliflower as you can easily rinse off all the grit.
- From here, you can easily slice off the cauliflower florets from the stalk. You can continue breaking down the florets until you reach the desired size by using the tip of your knife.
And that’s it! You’re done. You learned how to cut up cauliflower and you are ready to start cooking!
BEST WAYS TO COOK CAULIFLOWER
I could really go on and on about my love for cauliflower, but I’m sharing some of my tips on how to cook cauliflower, how to roast cauliflower, how to steam cauliflower, and how to easily include it into your day-to-day diet by sharing 10 of my favorite, absolutely mouthwatering cauliflower recipes!
If you’re a fan of that nutty, buttery taste (and without all the nuts and butter!), roasting cauliflower in the oven will soon become your go-to way of prepping this delicious cool-season vegetable.
HOW TO ROAST CAULIFLOWER
Cauliflower is healthy, loaded with fiber, and amazing but… on its own, it can be pretty boring. Unless… you roast it. Roasting cauliflower is one of my favorite ways to cook cauliflower. It’s easy, it’s quick, and it makes for a delicious side dish. The amazing taste of roasted cauliflower comes as a result of caramelization. Here’s how to roast cauliflower to get the perfect texture and taste:
- preheat the oven to 425 degrees F;
- cut cauliflower into florets;
- season cauliflower with salt, pepper, and your favorite spices;
- place the cauliflower on a rimmed baking sheet making sure the cauliflower florets have enough space between them;
- roast cauliflower in the oven, stirring occasionally for 35-40 minutes.
HOW TO STEAM CAULIFLOWER
Steamed cauliflower is not as delicious as roasted cauliflower but you have to learn how to steam cauliflower because it makes a great base for many delicious recipes. You can steam cauliflower in a pan or with a steamer basket.
To steam the cauliflower in a pan…
- bring water to a boil in a large pan;
- add cauliflower florets;
- cover the pan with a lid and steam for 3-8 depending on your desired crispiness. For crisp-tender, 3 minutes should be enough but if you want the cauliflower to be soft, steam for up to 8 minutes.
To steam cauliflower in a steamer basket…
- place the cauliflower florets in a steamer basket;
- bring water to a boil in a large pot;
- set the steamer basket over the boiling water;
- steam for 3-8 minutes. You already know – 3 minutes for crisp-tender, 8 minutes for fully tender.
HOW TO BLANCH CAULIFLOWER
If you don’t like soggy, overcooked cauliflower, you might wonder what to do with cauliflower to be able to enjoy it. My answer is – blanch it!
How do you blanch cauliflower? It’s easy. Very easy.
- The first thing you have to do is to decide if you want to boil or to steam cauliflower.
- Once you decided, boil or steam the cauliflower until it’s tender.
- Then submerge the cauliflower in a bowl of ice water. By doing this, you will stop the cauliflower from cooking further and the cauliflower will maintain its white color and it will no longer be mushy.
CAN YOU FREEZE COOKED CAULIFLOWER
Yes, you can totally freeze cauliflower. I know, it’s amazing. You can prep ahead so many wonderful cauliflower sides and mains and freeze them for later. YAY!
How to freeze cauliflower:
- place the cooked cauliflower in airtight containers, Ziploc bags or wrapped tightly in aluminum foil;
- place the cauliflower in the freezer.
Any time you want, thaw the cauliflower in the fridge and serve it for lunch or dinner.
HOW LONG DOES CAULIFLOWER LAST
If stored properly in airtight containers, cauliflower will last for 3-5 days in the fridge.
To extend the shelf life of cooked cauliflower, store it in the freezer. In the freezer, cauliflower lasts for up to 8 months.
10 HEALTHY CAULIFLOWER RECIPES
Believe it or not, cauliflower can be added to pretty much any dish you want, from your favorite curry to burritos. Cauliflower makes a delicious low-carb option. Trust me, after trying my 10 healthy cauliflower recipes, you’ll never look at a cauliflower head the same way again!
1. SLOW COOKER CHICKEN BURRITO BOWLS
Say farewell to tortillas while you dig into these Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowls. Make your all-time favorite Mexican dish super-healthy by swapping regular rice for Cauliflower Rice. This, in my book, is the best way to cook cauliflower. [GET RECIPE HERE]
2. SPICY CAULIFLOWER QUINOA RANCH BURGER WITH SWEET POTATO BUN
Combine your love for burgers and your love for cauliflower into a whole new kinda love – a healthy, savory, crunchy and oh, so tasty kind of love that is this Spicy Cauliflower Quinoa Ranch Burger With Sweet Potato Bun! [GET RECIPE HERE]
3. HOW TO MAKE CAULIFLOWER PIZZA CRUST + MY GO-TO CAULIFLOWER PIZZA RECIPE
Want a healthier pizza crust? Try this cauliflower pizza crust recipe and satisfy your pizza cravings without cheating on your healthy lifestyle. Plus tips on how to make the crust vegan, dairy-free, or without a food processor! This is not only one of my favorite healthy ways to cook cauliflower but it’s also my favorite way to make healthy pizza. [GET RECIPE HERE]
4. CREAMY PARMESAN CAULIFLOWER MASHED POTATOES
How to make cauliflower taste amazing? Make this recipe for Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes instead of regular mashed potatoes for a low-carb alternative. Easy to alter for paleo and vegan diets. [GET RECIPE HERE]
5. LOADED CAULIFLOWER TOTS
Loaded Cauliflower Tots. I repeat: LOADED CAULIFLOWER TOTS! These babies taste just like a baked potato, all wrapped up in a delicious and savory cauliflower tot! [GET RECIPE HERE]
6. 25 MINUTE CHICKEN CAULIFLOWER FRIED RICE
Cut the carbs and greasy takeout and still get your chicken fried rice by cooking cauliflower and transforming it into rice with this 25 Minute Chicken Cauliflower Fried Rice recipe. Cauliflower fried rice is a delicious, easy to make, and healthy fried rice substitute! [GET RECIPE HERE]
7. CAULIFLOWER CHEESE SAUCE
Another way for how to make cauliflower taste amazing – add it to cheese sauce. Once you try this healthy Cauliflower Cheese Sauce, you’ll never crave alfredo sauce again! It’s so creamy and savory, works like a cream sauce and is not only absolutely delightful but also good for you! [GET RECIPE HERE]
8. CAULIFLOWER GRATIN
Make this deceptively impressive, healthy, and easy Cauliflower Gratin that is high in protein, gluten-free, and clean. The post will teach you how to cook fresh cauliflower and you will enjoy it as a filling side or a meal by itself! [GET RECIPE HERE]
9. EASY PARMESAN ROASTED CAULIFLOWER
This Easy Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower is so addictive, delicious, and simple to make. Cauliflower is rich in vitamin C, K, protein, fiber, and many other nutrients, making it a great choice to add to your meals. And roasted cauliflower is such a treat so you gotta learn how to roast cauliflower. [GET RECIPE HERE]
10. SLOW COOKER CHICKEN CAULIFLOWER CURRY
Learn how to make Slow Cooker Chicken Cauliflower Curry that is easy, healthy, and delicious! Cooking cauliflower is the easiest thing ever! Perfect for a weeknight dinner and freezes well, too! This is a paleo, gluten-free, and clean eating recipe. [GET RECIPE HERE]
This post contains affiliate links for products I use regularly and highly recommend.
I've got your dinners covered this week
- Get my FREE 5-Day Meal Plan plus...
- Organized grocery list to save time and money
- Helpful cooking tips and tricks
- Free videos on forming better cooking skills
- Kitchen conversion and substitution charts