It kinda feels like cheating to write a whole post for this recipe, but, then I remember how awesome these mashed sweet potatoes are.
This recipe is quite easy. I started making these about 5 years ago and I get requests for them all the time. Every so often, I get the urge to toy with this recipe and add some orange zest, chopped pecans, nutmeg or cinnamon, but I just can’t do it because, well, the world might end it’s just too good the way it is. For those brave souls out there, if you feel like trying it, you could add some orange zest, lemon juice, cinnamon, allspice, or nutmeg and let me know how it turns out for you.
What you need: fresh sweet potatoes (or yams), some brown sugar and some butter. I told you: easy. Note: Forgive me, but I tend to get “sweet potatoes” confused with “yams.” For clarity, I make this meal with the one that has darker reddish-orange skin and deep orange flesh.
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes skin on, diced into 2-inch pieces
- 2-4 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- optional: 2 tbsp. unsalted butter for garnish
- Steam the sweet potatoes until very tender, approximately 15-20 minutes. No need to remove the skin.
- Once pureed, add 2 tbsp. of the brown sugar and all the cinnamon and mix well. Taste the potatoes at this time to see if you would like it to be any sweeter. If you would, add the remaining 1-2 tbsp. brown sugar as desired.
- Serve hot.
This post contains affiliate links for products I use regularly and highly recommend.
This post was last updated on October 31, 2015 to include new images and a recipe video.
I've got your dinners covered this week
- Get my FREE 5-Day Meal Plan plus...
- Organized grocery list to save time and money
- Helpful cooking tips and tricks
- Free videos on forming better cooking skills
- Kitchen conversion and substitution charts