Homemade crackers are extremely easy to make and the possible variations are endless.
Just by simply substituting the ingredients, you can make…
…Rosemary olive oil crackers
…Cheddar cheese crackers
…Salt and vinegar crackers
…Italian herb crackers
…Poppy seed or sesame crackers
…Garlic herb crackers
…Parmesan garlic crackers
Endless, I tell you! Endless!
This also meant I got to enjoy most of the Pimento Cheese Spread by myself. Heehee.
Some Cracker-Making Tips:
1. Roll out your dough as thinly as possible. The thinner the cracker, the crispier the crunch.
2. Watch the cracker like a hawk while in the oven. They like to go from Perfect to Burnt very quickly.
3. Don’t overcrowd the crackers on the baking sheet, as that is not ideal for even baking.
4. Cut the cracker dough into evenly shaped sizes to allow for even baking. Otherwise, some may wind up getting burnt just to allow the other to finish.
5. Play around with different flavors. Even a simple dash of sea salt can make for a delicious cracker.
- 1 1/2 cups whole flour or omit and use 3 cups all-purpose flour if you prefer
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil plus extra to lightly coat formed dough
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried tarragon
- 1 tsp dried basil
- In the bowl of an electric mixer (or in a medium mixing bowl, if mixing by hand), combine the flour and kosher salt. Slowly add the water and olive oil and, using a dough hook attachment (or a wooden spoon if using your hands), mix the dough at medium speed for about 5 - 7 minutes. The dough should be tacky. If the dough is too sticky or too dry, add a bit more flour or water, respectively.
- When done mixing, shape the dough into a large ball and divide into 6-8 pieces. Roll the pieces into balls, lightly cover with olive oil and place on a clean plate. Cover with a clean dish towel or plastic wrap and let rest at room temperature for 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Using a rolling pin, flatten one dough ball and roll out as flat and even as possible. Using a knife or pizza cutter, divide the dough evenly into cracker-sized pieces. You can cut the dough into whatever shape you like at this point.
- Arrange cracker dough pieces on cookie sheets lined with parchment paper. Poke each cracker with a fork a few times to prevent puffing. Sprinkle some kosher salt or sea salt or any other desired toppings and then place into oven.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden-brown and crispy, but not burnt. Allow to cool before eating.
- Repeat the process for the remaining dough balls.
I've got your dinners covered this week
- Get my FREE 5-Day Meal Plan plus...
- Organized grocery list to save time and money
- Helpful cooking tips and tricks
- Free videos on forming better cooking skills
- Kitchen conversion and substitution charts