Blueberry muffins are so my fave kind of muffins.
And, you know me: I like muffins!
No matter where I am or what mood I’m in, sitting down and enjoying a blueberry muffin instantly takes me back to being a kid again.
Problem with your typical blueberry muffin, though, is that it’s just filled with refined sugars and flours and likely lots of unnecessary fats and other unhealthy oils.
I know, right…but…blueberry muffins??
What are we ever to do?
Well, I decided I needed more blueberry muffins in my life.
I needed them on a regular basis.
I needed them as a snack or a breakfast or a sweet treat.
I needed them…to be HEALTHY and good for me.
Which meant I needed to do the following:
- remove all processed sugars (and replace with natural sweetness, like ripe bananas)
- remove all processed flours (and replace with unrefined flours like spelt flour and coconut flour)
- remove all processed oils (and replace with the awesome healthy substitute of mashed bananas)
I also wanted to add in a lil’ something special to brighten up the blueberry muffins and I found the best way to do this was with some fresh orange zest.
I know – you’re totally thinking, “Lacey, why on earth would you add orange zest to a perfectly good blueberry muffin? They’re great the way they are!”
And, I know, it’s different.
But, stay with me peeps…because it’s also glorious…
I mean: Even Dustin who practically cried when I told him I added orange zest into the blueberry muffins he was craving for so long took one bite and then happily declared them to be the best blueberry muffins he’d ever had.
I’m tellin’ ya – it’s super tasty and a great way to enjoy your blueberry muffins again.
Orange Scented Blueberry Muffins
I make these tasty orange scented blueberry muffins with Bob’s Red Mill coconut flour and spelt flour for a delicious combination of flavor and health benefits – so good for your tastebuds and your body!
- 1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill coconut flour
- 1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill spelt flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 bananas mashed
- 5 eggs
- 3 tbsp raw honey melted
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp fresh orange zest 1 orange
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp coconut oil softened
- Start by preheating your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and greasing a regular muffin tin with coconut oil.
- Next, in a large mixing bowl, combine the coconut flour, spelt flour, baking powder, sea salt, and ground cinnamon.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add ripe bananas and mash until smooth using a fork or potato masher. Once the bananas are fully mashed, add the eggs, raw honey, vanilla extract, and fresh orange zest, and stir to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix together until just incorporated. Then, add in the fresh blueberries and fold into the batter.
- Fill each muffin cup evenly - the muffins will rise some so try to fill them about 3/4 of the way full.
- Spread 2 tbsp. of the softened coconut on a sheet of parchment paper and place in the freezer for 10-15 minutes to harden.
- While the coconut oil is hardening, mix the remaining coconut flour, coconut sugar, and cinnamon in a small mixing bowl. Once the coconut oil is hardened, remove it from the freezer and break into small pieces. Then, add into the mixing bowl and stir to combine. (As the coconut oil melts in the oven, just like with butter, it will produce a crispy, crunchy topping for the muffins.)
- Top each of the muffins with the coconut flour and cinnamon mixture.
- Place into the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until a toothpick or knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
I've got your dinners covered this week
- Get my FREE 5-Day Meal Plan plus...
- Organized grocery list to save time and money
- Helpful cooking tips and tricks
- Free videos on forming better cooking skills
- Kitchen conversion and substitution charts