Alright, who’s ready for the Super Bowl this Sunday?
From very early on in the season, sadly, I knew my Cowboys weren’t gonna be contenders this year but that doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy myself this Super Bowl Sunday. Panthers vs. Broncos? Should be a good game.
…especially if you consider this tasty little appetizer I have planned.
This jalapeno poppers recipe figuratively changed my life. Serious.
To be honest, I haven’t ever really been a big appetizer person. I mean…sure there’s always the guacamole and chips and salsa or even bruschetta if you’re looking to get a little fancy (at least, fancy for my kinda folks). And then there’s chicken strips…
Hmm…maybe I AM a big fan of appetizers. Weird.
Well, either way, I’ve never been a huge fan of jalapeno poppers. I know, I must be like the only person ever. They always just seemed too stuffed full of cream cheese and even deep fried.
So, this got me thinking…why not just remove both the creaminess and the deep fried-ness, right?
Sounds good to me!
I also realized this would make a fantastic dairy-free appetizer to share with my non-dairy friends. Because our non-dairy friends would so appreciate an appetizer that didn’t involve chips and salsa.
To make it non-dairy, I used Almond Dream non-dairy yogurt in the fresh cilantro and lime dipping sauce and it just so happened to create the most amazingly perfectest perfect flavor combination to go with the shrimp jalapeno poppers. Oh my.
It’s so simple to make, too. Which – you know – I very much love. The bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers don’t even need any seasoning, either – just peel, slice, and roll.
And you saw they were bacon-wrapped, right?
Which means, if you’re anything like me, I had you at “Bacon-Wra…”
I’m tellin’ ya – try this crispy bacon-wrapped shrimp jalapeno poppers recipe with the creamy, dairy-free cilantro lime dipping sauce for the Super Bowl and watch them disappear as fast as you made them.
They are the perfect high-protein, non-dairy, and perfectly delicious combination of crispy, crunchy, chewy, salty, and limey goodness flavors.
Crispy Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp Jalapeno Poppers Recipe
This Sunday, pop these in the oven, make the super easy dipping sauce, then kick back and enjoy the deliciousness.
Oh, and the game, too. That should be lots of fun to watch, too!
- 1/2 lb large shrimp approx. 8-10 shrimp
- 1/2 lb thick look for nitrate-free, uncooked bacon
- 1-2 jalapeño peppers
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves finely chopped
- 1 container plain Almond Dream non-dairy yogurt
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Place a rack on top the tinfoil and set aside.
- Peel and devein the shrimp (twist the peel off the shell in segments, starting with the legs until all the shell is removed. Make sure to pinch off the tail as well.)
- To remove the vein, take a paring knife and make a shallow slice along the back of the shrimp. Remove the dark vein that runs along the back using your fingers or the knife.
- Partially butterfly the shrimp by slicing a little deeper along the same line once the vein is removed.
- Repeat these steps with the remaining shrimp and then set aside.
- Slice the jalapeño in half lengthwise and remove all the membrane and seeds using your fingers or a spoon. (You may want to use gloves to do this step to prevent your hands from burning later.)
- Once all the seeds are removed, slice the jalapeño into several long slices, about 6-8 per half, depending on how large the jalapeño is.
- To assemble the shrimp jalapeño poppers, place a slice of jalapeño against the slit we made in the shrimp and then wrap the whole thing with a slice of thick-cut, nitrate-free bacon. Secure with a toothpick and then place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining shrimp. (While you could just place the shrimp directly on the parchment paper, the rack allows for the extra oils to drip away from the poppers which helps keep them crispy and removes extra fat.)
- Place in the oven for 20-25 min., flipping once at 10 min. The poppers are done when the shrimp is cooked through and the bacon is nice and crispy.
- While the shrimp is in the oven, make the creamy cilantro lime dipping sauce.
- To do this, combine the plain Almond Dream non-dairy yogurt with the garlic, cilantro, lime juice, sea salt, ground cumin, and black pepper. (If you don’t like raw garlic, you could use powdered garlic instead.)
I've got your dinners covered this week
- Get my FREE 5-Day Meal Plan plus...
- Organized grocery list to save time and money
- Helpful cooking tips and tricks
- Free videos on forming better cooking skills
- Kitchen conversion and substitution charts