If you already follow me on twitter or on facebook, **hint hint** you probably know I entered the “I am a Saucy Mama” contest offered by Barhyte Specialty Foods. To participate in the contest, you needed to be a food blogger and be willing to create a recipe using at least one of their ingredients. Sounded good to me!
Once I received my contest package in the mail, I thought a lot about what I could make that would utilize the ingredients. The contest involved creating a recipe that would work as a great party dish to serve to friends or to bring to an event. Since I had recently made (and enjoyed) Crab Cakes with Dill Aioli, I thought this would be a good recipe to play around with for the contest.
I made “mini” crab cakes to make them more party-ish, which — I think — turned out very well. The spicy hot wing sauce worked great even as a dipping sauce for the mini crab cakes recipe. Yum! Who would have thought hot wing sauce with crab cakes?!? But, it works!
As for the giveaway, the generous folks at Barhyte Specialty Foods have provided me with a collection of their Saucy Mama condiments which include Chipotle Mustard, Lime Chipotle Marinade, Jalapeno Stuffed Olives, Hot Wing Sauce, Sweet Onion Marinade and Cracked Pepper Marinade to give away to one lucky reader.
All you have to do to enter is answer the following question in the Comments for this post:
What is your favorite recipe (or post) from my blog so far?
New to the site? That’s cool (and welcome!). Either take a look around and find one that looks tasty or suggest a recipe you’d like to see me make. The choice is yours!
The winner will be announced in next Saturday’s post (voting ends 10 p.m. PST Friday the 17th). Good luck!
**Update: Thanks for voting, everyone! The lucky winner has been chosen and will be announced soon!
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter divided
- 1 green onion finely chopped
- 2 1/2 tbsp Saucy Mama's Hot Wing Sauce
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 tbsp parsley minced
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 lb crab meat de-shelled
- 3/4 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs divided
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup parmesan grated
- Heat 1 tbsp. butter in large skillet on medium-high heat. Cook green onion and garlic until tender, approximately 2 minutes. Add parsley, lemon juice, hot wing sauce, 1/2 cup of the unseasoned breadcrumbs and spices to the mixture and stir together. Remove from heat. Fold in crab meat until evenly distributed.
- Combine parmesan, 1/4 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs and panko in a shallow dish.
- Form the crab cake patties to about 1/4-inch thickness. Wet your hands with water if the mixture starts to stick. You should make about 16 mini-sized patties.
- Cover the patties with parchment paper or saran wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. This will make it so the cakes don't fall apart and crumble while cooking.
- Heat 1 tbsp. butter in a large skillet on medium-high heat until butter is almost burning. Cook patties, 6-8 at a time, until golden on each side, approximately 2 minutes per side. Use the remaining 1 tbsp. butter for the final patties.
- Serve with Saucy Mama's Hot Wing Sauce for dipping.
I've got your dinners covered this week
- Get my FREE 5-Day Meal Plan plus...
- Organized grocery list to save time and money
- Helpful cooking tips and tricks
- Free videos on forming better cooking skills
- Kitchen conversion and substitution charts