Ever since I posted the results from my latest poll, Which diet(s) best describe(s) you?, I have been wanting to incorporate more vegetarian recipes into this site.
Give the people what they want, right? Heehee.
It’s interesting just how many meals can be made into a “vegetarian meal” just by taking out the meat in what you’re already cooking.
Many times, I find you don’t even miss the meat.
Enter the vegetarian quesadilla. The Spinach, Mushroom and Jack Quesadilla.
This is a tasty vegetarian dish that originally included chicken.
This quesadilla is super tasty and easy to make. I think it works great as a nice lunch or a light dinner.
I especially like the flavor combination of the melted jack cheese and fresh spinach. Throw in some garlic and mushrooms and it’s on!
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil divded
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 8-10 white mushrooms sliced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves packed
- 1 1/2 cups Monterrey Jack cheese grated
- 5-8 flour tortillas
- Heat olive oil in non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, onion and mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add spinach, remove from heat and stir to combine. The spinach will wilt quickly as it mixes with the cooked vegetables. Set aside.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp. oil in clean non-stick skillet over medium heat. Lay one tortilla flat on skillet. Sprinkle equal amounts of mushroom-spinach mixture and jack cheese over half of the tortilla and fold uncovered half over to form the quesadilla.
- Cook each side until golden brown and cheese is melted, about 2-4 minutes per side.
- Remove from heat and cut into wedges to serve.