This post was last updated on August 23, 2014 to include a recipe video.
I am so excited to share one of my three favorite fruity protein shake recipes with you guys.
This is a post I’ve been working on for a while now. If you remember, way back when, I shared my Peanut Butter, Chocolate and Banana Protein Shake recipe. At the time, I really didn’t know much about protein shakes other than that one was darn tasty.
Well, I’ve been doing my research. Which, in ASPC terms, means I’ve been experimenting, tweaking and perfecting recipes. Oh, and, of course, eating and drinking the finished products. Such a hard life, I know.
Nowadays, Dustin and I have a protein shake for breakfast pretty much every day. This made the normal shake get pretty old pretty quick. I mean…there’s tasty and then there’s downright overdoing it.
So, we set out to find some delicious substitutions for our usual shake. While we have come up with a good 10ish recipes so far, I wanted to start with my top three fruit-filled shakes (pictured above). Each of these shakes is extremely easy to make, tastes absolutely delicious and is a nutritious, healthy and perfect way to start (or end!) your day. While we usually have them for breakfast, we have been known to replace meals and desserts with these puppies.
Oh — if you don’t already have protein powder, one very important thing to consider when picking a flavor and a brand is the TASTE. Not all protein powders are created equal. We have gone through a good batch of them and they have been too “proteiny,” meaning they taste artificial, like chemicals and, well, bad. My favorite (and the only one I’ll use) is called Dymatize ISO-100 and I usually buy the Gourmet Chocolate and Gourmet Vanilla flavors.
First up, the Strawberry Protein Shake. Watch me make this super delicious shake in the video below:
Strawberry Protein Shake
If you’d like more protein shakes and smoothie recipes, check out the following:
- Green Protein Smoothie
- Almond Butter, Coffee, And Chocolate Shake
- Orange Protein Shake
- Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter Shake
- Banana Protein Shake
- Blueberry Shake
- Peach Protein Shake
- ½ cup vanilla flavored almond milk
- ½ cup strawberry flavored Greek yogurt or vanilla, I use Greek Gods Strawberry Honey
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1 tsp honey
- ¾ cup frozen strawberries or mixed berries, if you prefer
- 3-6 ice cubes I use 5, depending on how thick you like your shakes
- Starting with the almond milk, place all the ingredients into a blender. Depending on your blender's settings, first start by chopping up the ice and frozen strawberries, followed by pureeing the mixture to create a smooth, even consistency.
- In order to get your preferred consistency, you can also start by not adding any ice, following the other steps above. Once all other ingredients are mixed together, slowly add the ice, mix and then test. Continue to add more ice cubes until the desired consistency is met.
- If too thick, you can add some more almond milk, little by little. If not sweet enough, add a little more honey.
I've got your dinners covered this week
- Get my FREE 5-Day Meal Plan plus...
- Organized grocery list to save time and money
- Helpful cooking tips and tricks
- Free videos on forming better cooking skills
- Kitchen conversion and substitution charts