Let me first start this post by saying the teriyaki sauce for this Teriyaki Chicken is amazing. A-maze-ing.
Okay, I feel better now. Whew.
Like I mentioned with my Salmon Teriyaki recipe, homemade teriyaki sauce is incredibly easy to make. Plus, it’s SO much better than the bottled stuff — it’s really not even fair.
This Teriyaki Chicken is easy enough for a great weeknight dinner and is impressive enough for guests. I like serving it with some steamed jasmine rice. So simple, yet so delicious.
By making your own teriyaki sauce, you can also avoid the high fructose corn syrup and unnecessary preservatives used by manufacturers for the bottled stuff. No thank you!
If you like, you can include red pepper flakes, sesame seeds, orange zest and anything else you think might be tasty.
Simply add in these additional ingredients to make it your own.
- FOR THE TERIYAKI SAUCE:
- ⅓ cup (low sodium) soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- FOR THE CHICKEN:
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- pinch kosher salt
- pinch ground black pepper
- optional: sliced green onions or sesame seeds, for garnish
- FOR THE SAUCE:
- In a medium saucepan, combine soy sauce, honey, brown sugar, garlic, ginger and vinegar over medium-high heat, stirring frequently.
- Dissolve cornstarch in water in a separate mixing bowl and then add to the saucepan. Cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring frequently, until thickened.
- Set aside.
- FOR THE CHICKEN:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in large, oven-safe skillet over high heat. Season chicken liberally with kosher salt and ground black pepper.
- Place chicken into skillet and cook until golden-brown on one side, about 5-6 minutes. Flip pieces over, pour the teriyaki sauce over and between the chicken and place into the oven.
- Bake chicken for 15-20 minutes, until no longer pink in the middle.
- To serve, slice against the grain and drizzle teriyaki sauce from the skillet over the chicken.
- Serve over steamed rice if desired. Garnish with sliced green onions and/or sesame seeds, if desired.