This post was last updated on March 28, 2015 to include new images and a recipe video.
For Father’s Day every year, to show my appreciation for Dustin and how awesome of a dad he is, I asked him if there was something special he would like me to make for dinner. Anything’s on the table: rack of lamb, lobster, steak… Nothing’s too good or expensive for the wonderful father of our kiddos.
And, every year, without even blinking, his eyes light up, he grins, and he immediately requests my homemade chili cheese dog recipe.
And, every year, my heart smiles a little when he does. Because I know it’s what he’s going to request.
This homemade chili cheese dog recipe is easily at the top of Dustin’s “last meal” list, next to a Texas brisket sandwich with a side of barbecued ham and fried okra, a cold Dr. Pepper, and a breakfast burrito from this hole-in-the-wall liquor store in Carpinteria, CA we used to go to all the time.
My “last meal” would have to be a good BLT with perfectly toasted sourdough bread, crisp lettuce, crunchy, yet chewy bacon, heavy on the mayo and perfectly ripe tomatoes. Oh, and an iced sweet tea. And maybe a thick slice of New York cheesecake with fresh strawberries. And…
But I digress as usual.
These chili cheese dogs are quite flavorful. The chili is sweet, tangy, and bold with a little kick to it.
Plain and simple. Not pretty. Not fancy. Just some good ol’ chili.
And Dustin loves it. Every year 🙂
Homemade Chili Cheese Dog Recipe
- FOR THE CHILI:
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 6 oz. tomato paste
- ½ cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- FOR THE DOGS
- 6 hot dog buns
- 6 hot dog franks, preferably grilled (I use Ball Park all-beef franks)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in deep pot.
- Add the onion and cook until sweating, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and cook over medium-high heat until well-browned, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, ginger, and cayenne, and stir together, making sure all the meat is broken up into small pieces.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a simmer.
- Stirring occasionally, simmer over low heat until chili thickens, about 10-12 minutes.
- Serve over grilled hot dogs and garnish with shredded cheese.
I've got your dinners covered this week
- Get my FREE 5-Day Meal Plan plus...
- Organized grocery list to save time and money
- Helpful cooking tips and tricks
- Free videos on forming better cooking skills
- Kitchen conversion and substitution charts