In my family, meals usually revolve around a meat of some sort. Even our salads have chicken, shrimp or steak. However, I have recently realized I need to add some good vegetarian entrees to my repertoire. To my dismay, the burning question arises each time I think this: Will Dustin eat it? And, even if he eats it, will he like it? Dustin does not take lightly to a meal without meat. His first instinct is to feel like something is missing, like it’s just not right. You can see why I tend to avoid such a commotion.
I thought I’d start out easy and make a new salad. I figured Dustin would accept a tasty salad full of fresh spinach and sweet strawberries. Maybe he wouldn’t even miss the meat. Maybe…?
I thought right.
This spinach and strawberry salad was definitely a hit. Dustin loved it and has even requested it again. Adding some chopped walnuts, candied pecans or sliced almonds adds a nice touch to the texture. This salad is good enough by itself but it can be served as a side salad quite nicely as well.
- 2 bunches spinach, rinsed and torn into bite-size pieces (or 1 large bag of pre-washed spinach)
- 4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- ⅓ cup glazed walnuts (or sliced almonds)
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- In a large bowl, toss together the spinach, strawberries and walnuts.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, sugar and poppy seeds.
- Pour dressing over the spinach and strawberries.
- Toss to coat.
Take control of your food
Get my FREE guide on How To Start Eating Clean!