I’m always on the lookout for new, healthy recipes that I can add to this blog, No-Fail Meals, or just my family’s weeknight dinner rotation. And I SO love it when I find high protein, clean meals that everyone enjoys.
And this Healthy Chicken Meatballs With Sautéed Zucchini is definitely one of those keeper recipes.
What I like so much about these chicken meatballs is that they are flavorful and a great change of pace – both for chicken and for meatballs. They also cook super quick and don’t require much effort preparing which is always a plus in my book.
Okay. Let’s talk this meal, shall we. First: YUM!
I really like the pairing of the meatballs with the sautéed zucchini and red onion because of the textures, colors, and flavors.
The zucchini and red onion is a little sweet while the meatballs are a savory and have a little crunch to them from baking in the oven and the almond meal. This meal is also great during the summer when zucchini is in season – which means you’ll be sure to have plenty of zucchini and it’ll be cheaper and fresher.
If you’re looking for a clean chicken meatball recipe, but you don’t have or can’t find almond meal, you can also sub the unseasoned breadcrumbs with homemade Ezekial breadcrumbs – just pop a couple slices in the toaster and then break or blend them into crumbles. That way, you’ll have whole wheat, fresh breadcrumbs.
I know – did I just blow your mind? Good. 🙂
If you’d be interested in learning more about clean eating, you should totes check out this post. 🙂
Something to consider if you don’t like your sautéed zucchini super mushy and more like zucchini stew than zucchini slices: Don’t cook the zucchini all the way through. You should be taking the zucchini off the heat once they are about one minute past being tender. You’ll want to cook at a higher heat to get them cooked quicker so as not to get all mushy. Plus, slice all the zucchini as evenly as possible so they all cook evenly.
If you can tell, I like my zucchini NOT mushy, thank you very much!
Healthy Chicken Meatballs
And, if you’re looking for meals like this every day and would love to have a weekly meal plan and grocery list emailed to you, check out my super cool meal planning service, No-Fail Meals, for more info.
- 1 lb ground chicken breast
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 tbsp Italian parsley chopped
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- 3 zucchini sliced into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 tsp kosher salt plus more to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper plus more to taste
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- To make the meatballs, preheat your oven to 425 degrees F and grease the bottom of a baking dish with olive oil, then set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground chicken, almond meal, chopped Italian parsley, grated parmesan, sea salt, pepper, garlic powder, and egg and mix very well.
- Using your hands, form the mixture into 2-inch meatballs.
- Place the meatballs into the baking dish, separating them a little bit so they can evenly bake.
- Put into the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, until almost cooked through, and then turn the oven to broil for 3-5 minutes to create a crispy, golden-brown top.
- To make the zucchini, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet.
- Add thinly sliced red onion and cook for 2-3 minutes, until it starts to sweat.
- Add the sliced zucchini, sea salt, pepper, and garlic powder and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook for 6-8 minutes, or until zucchini is just tender, but not falling apart.
This post was first published on July 27, 2015 and updated on 9/9/16 to include an updated recipe and recipe video.
This post contains affiliate links for products I use regularly and highly recommend.
I've got your dinners covered this week
- Get my FREE 5-Day Meal Plan plus...
- Organized grocery list to save time and money
- Helpful cooking tips and tricks
- Free videos on forming better cooking skills
- Kitchen conversion and substitution charts