I wanted to share this yummy dinner I have made a few times. I don’t usually cook with scallops for some reason, even though they are super easy and fast to prepare. And this recipe is no exception.
I love this meal because of all the unique and contrasting flavors that combine to make a powerful bite.
The crunch of the snap peas, water chestnuts, and peanuts is also awesome and adds a tasty freshness to it. So good!
And, in case you’re wondering (like me!) what exactly makes something “Kung Pao,” it’s really just the combination of the meat, veggies, chili peppers and peanuts in the spicy stir fry. It’s very common in Chinese cooking. (Thank you, Wikipedia.)
And it’s delicious.
It’s also a low-carb option for us now that we are really trying to eat as clean as possible, whatever that means.
I have served these kung pao scallops with white rice and the whole thing takes less than 30 minutes to prepare.
If you don’t like scallops, you could replace them with shrimp, chicken, beef, tofu or just go veggies only. I buy either bay or large sea scallops from the fish counter and freeze them right away if I’m not going to use them that night. I HATE the smell of fishy fish (or scallops!) so I do what I can to eliminate it. A good tip on this is to pay attention to how the grocery store fish counter smells when you’re there — if it smells fishy, don’t buy from there. Fresh fish should smell like the ocean, not “fishy.”
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp . sugar
- 1 tbsp . cornstarch
- 2 tbsp . white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp . sesame oil
- 1/2 tbsp . sesame oil
- 1/2 tbsp . olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp . fresh ginger minced
- 1 tsp . chili paste
- 1 lb . bay scallops cut in half
- 1 can sliced water chestnuts rinsed and drained
- 1 lb . fresh sugar snap peas
- 4 green onions thinly sliced
- 1 cup dry-roasted peanuts
- optional: 3 cups hot cooked white rice
- To make the sauce, combine all the sauce ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- For the stir-fry, heat the sesame and olive oils in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic, ginger and chili paste and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add the scallops and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add the water chestnuts and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the sauce mixture, snap peas and green onions. Bring to a boil and cook 4-6 minutes, or until thickened.
- Stir in the peanuts.
- Serve with rice.
I've got your dinners covered this week
- Get my FREE 5-Day Meal Plan plus...
- Organized grocery list to save time and money
- Helpful cooking tips and tricks
- Free videos on forming better cooking skills
- Kitchen conversion and substitution charts