Would you believe I’ve never made “homemade” blueberry muffins? Isn’t that so ridiculous?
I mean…I’ve made the boxed stuff with the “real blueberries” a dozen or so times over the years, but have never actually made real blueberry muffins.
So, as I’ve been trying to embrace the new, better, baking A Sweet Pea Chef, I decided it was time to make some real blueberry muffins. Some orange-scented blueberry muffins. Yum!
Don’t get me wrong: I LOVE regular ‘ol fresh blueberry muffins. But, I thought I’d add some “specialness” into these muffins for my own twist by including some fresh orange zest.
The orange zest gives the muffins a slight hint of citrus, while the blueberries clearly remain the star, as they should be.
As usual, I had my official taste tester (AKA Dustin) help me out with these muffins to let me know what he thought. Mind you: Dustin typically dislikes anything “orange-scented,” so I knew was taking quite a gamble with this recipe. Luckily, he loved my Orange-Scented Blueberry Muffins — so much so that he said they were the best blueberry muffins he’s ever had. Did you catch that? Ever. Had. Woohoo!
I also added a little sweet crumb topping right before the muffins went into the oven. The topping leaves a sweet, crunchy top which contrasts nicely with the moist, delicate blueberry bottom.
I hope you try these out — the recipe is so simple, you’ll probably only have to pick up blueberries at the store!
- FOR THE MUFFINS:
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- ⅔ cup milk
- ¾ tbsp. freshly grated orange zest
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, washed and de-stemmed
- softened butter to grease muffin tin
- FOR THE CRUMB TOPPING:
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, chopped into small pieces
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Butter muffin tin or line with muffin liners. Set aside.
- Combine flour, ¾ cup sugar, baking powder and kosher salt in a medium mixing bowl.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine vegetable oil, egg, milk and orange zest. Add, all at once, to the dry flour mixture. Stir until just moistened. The mixture will be a bit lumpy and thick. If it seems to thick, add 1 tbsp. vegetable oil or milk to thin, though only if necessary. Add the fresh blueberries and gently fold into the mixture. Do not over-mix.
- To make the crumb topping, combine ¼ cup sugar, brown sugar, ⅓ cup flour, cubed butter and ground cinnamon in a small mixing bowl. Mixture will be lumpy.
- Pour or spoon muffin batter into the buttered (or lined) muffin tin, filling until almost full. Generously sprinkle the crumb topping over the tops of each muffin cup.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until muffin tops are golden brown.
- Remove from heat and cool on a cooling rack for 5 minutes.
Take control of your food
Get my FREE guide on How To Start Eating Clean!