These healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are the PERFECT way to use ripe bananas and don’t use any refined flour, refined sugar or oil!
Way back when, in a land far, far away, I posted this Banana Nut Muffins recipe.
And it was truly amazing – it even became one of the most popular posts on this blog and has been pinned a TON of times on Pinterest, and shared all across them interwebs.
I think the reason why my Easy Banana Nut Muffins recipe was so successful is because it is so super duper easy and virtually fail-proof. I mean – it’s one bowl of stuff you mix together, and then bake. And the result is delicious.
So many times over the years, though, you guys have asked me to share a new recipe that included chocolate chips. Because bananas and chocolate chips NEED to be in muffin form, peeps. It’s like a rule, I’m told. 😉
So, I went to work on making a new and improved banana chocolate chip muffin recipe. To make the best banana chocolate chip muffins ever.
BUT…I needed to make a few tweaks in the old recipe.
First off: they needed to be healthier. Really, they needed to be clean. While the original Easy Banana Nut Muffins are extremely tasty, they are not clean as written. That’s because, when I created that recipe, I hadn’t yet fallen in LOVE with a clean eating lifestyle.
In order to make them healthier, I replaced the all-purpose flour with whole wheat spelt flour — which, if you haven’t ever heard of before, spoiler alert: it’s AMAZING. It’s everything a clean eating person could dream of for baked goods. It’s slightly sweet, full of nutritious vitamins, fiber, and protein, and completely unrefined. Oh, and it bakes up as tenderly and as lightly as all-purpose flour, which is just so very awesome.
I also wanted to remove ALL added sweeteners to this muffin recipe. That means no added sweetener of any kind. I wanted to see if I could make a sweet, delicious muffin without anything but the natural sweetness of the bananas. So, I added in 5 ripe bananas and, to my happy surprise, it turned out beautifully.
How To Make These Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins Vegan (Without Dairy or Eggs)
If you’re looking to make these banana chocolate chip muffins vegan, meaning without any dairy or eggs, all you need to do is replace the one egg with a flax egg. To make a flax egg, it’s super easy. Just add one tablespoon ground flaxseed meal (I use this brand) with 3 tablespoons of water. Mix together with a spoon, and let sit for 5-10 minutes to set up and thicken. Then, add to the recipe as you would an egg. See? Super easy. You can also add that flaxseed meal to other recipes for added nutrients, like this Kiwi & Kale Smoothie – FYI.
Are Chocolate Banana Muffins Healthy?
Not all chocolate banana muffins are healthy or created equal. That’s why it’s so helpful to make them yourself because you can completely control the ingredients. In these healthy banana chocolate chip muffins, the addition of the extra bananas removed the need to add any oil to the muffins, too. While I do use a tiny bit of coconut oil to grease the pan, you could always avoid this if you used cupcake liners since there’s none that’s needed for the recipe.
So: no refined flour, no added sweeteners, and no added oils.
This means we got ourselves some healthy muffins. Hooray!
How friggin’ cool is that?
And, if you are with me and you think this is, in fact, “friggin’ cool,” then, my friend, you are gonna LOVE these healthy banana chocolate chip muffins.
Like…love LOVE them.
How to Make Banana Muffins With Chocolate Chips
For the chocolate, don’t make these super healthy banana chocolate chip muffins right here and and make the mistake of using an unhealthy-ish chocolate.
Instead, get the most out of your chocolate with a 70% cacao dark chocolate. At that level of cacao, you’ll get the maximum health benefits with the least amount of additives and processing. It’s a chocolate win-win here, peeps!
Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
So, for all you out there who asked for a healthy banana chocolate chip muffin recipe, I hope you enjoy these as much as I do.
And thanks SO MUCH for the suggestion!
These healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are the PERFECT solution to your ripe bananas and don't use any refined flours OR sugar or oil!
- 5 ripe bananas
- 1 egg, beaten*
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour (can also use whole wheat pastry flour)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup 70% cacao dark chocolate morsels
- 1/2 tbsp Coconut oil, for greasing muffin tin
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease muffin tin with coconut oil.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the spelt flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and sea salt. Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir to combine. Do not over mix.
- Fold in the chocolate morsels.
- Pour the mix into the prepared muffin pan, approximately 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean and tops are golden brown.
- Remove and let cool on cooling rack.
* To make these muffins vegan, all you need to replace is the one egg with a flax egg. Just add one tablespoon ground flaxseed meal (I use this brand) with 3 tablespoons of water. Mix together with a spoon, and let sit for 5-10 minutes to set up and thicken. Then, add to the recipe as you would an egg. See? Super easy.
This post contains affiliate links for products I use regularly and highly recommend.
I've got your dinners covered this week
- Get my FREE 5-Day Meal Plan plus...
- Organized grocery list to save time and money
- Helpful cooking tips and tricks
- Free videos on forming better cooking skills
- Kitchen conversion and substitution charts