This post was last updated on August 7, 2015 to include new images and a recipe video.
Spinach And Feta Burgers
Tired of the same ol’ burger? I have the solution: spinach and feta burgers with garlic aioli.
Get ready for a mouthful of flavor.
At first, I was a little iffy with the idea of adding feta to a burger. However, the bold creaminess of the feta complemented the spinach and ground beef very well.
To the burgers, I like to add a thick slice of fresh tomato, a few baby spinach leaves, extra feta crumbles (of course!) and a garlic aioli. For buns, the fresher the better. When I am able to, I like to use my homemade egg bread buns. Or, when I’m trying to eat healthier, I’ll use a whole wheat bun.
If you aren’t familiar with an aioli, just think of a mayonnaise. The addition of the zesty garlic aioli gives a nice kick to these burgers. Overall, the burgers have a Greek or Mediterranean feel to them and are a great way to change up an ordinary burger. They are also very easy to make.
If you’re not interested in going to the trouble of making the homemade aioli, you can just add 1 clove minced garlic, 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice and some freshly ground black pepper to 2 tablespoons mayonnaise.
When flipping the spinach and feta burgers, take care to flip swiftly and smoothly because the feta and spinach make them a little bit easier to fall apart. But, trust me, you’ll be eating the crumbles even if it breaks apart.
- For the patties:
- 1 lb. ground 90/10 sirloin
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 oz. crumbled feta (I used garlic and herb)
- 2 cups chopped fresh baby spinach
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 6 buns
- Optional toppings: sliced tomato, crumbled feta, baby spinach leaves
- For the aioli:
- 1½ tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1½ cups olive oil
- 1-1½ tbsp. fresh lemon juice, to taste
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Either pre-heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat or set an outdoor grill to medium heat.
- Mix together the ground sirloin, egg, garlic, feta, spinach and seasonings in a large bowl until well combined.
- Form mixture into 6 patties.
- Cook on grill (or skillet) until no longer pink in the center, 10-15 minutes.
- In a blender or a food processor, puree garlic with egg. With the food processor or blender running, add the olive oil at a very slow, steady and thin stream. You should see the mixture start to emulsify. Add lemon juice to loosen mixture. Once the mixture has emulsified, add kosher salt and pepper and combine for another 10 seconds. Taste for seasoning. Transfer to a bowl, cover and refrigerate.
- Again, if you'd like an easier method, just add 1 clove minced garlic, ¼ teaspoon lemon juice and some freshly ground black pepper to 2 tablespoons mayonnaise.
I've got your dinners covered this week
- Get my FREE 5-Day Meal Plan plus...
- Organized grocery list to save time and money
- Helpful cooking tips and tricks
- Free videos on forming better cooking skills
- Kitchen conversion and substitution charts