This post was last updated on January 14, 2015 to include new images.
Aren’t sweet potatoes the best?
Oh, and they’re super duper yummy when topped with whipped cinnamon honey butter and roasted pecans.
Now, to be fair, a spoon is delicious topped with such goodness. But I think you get my point.
With sweet potatoes, I especially love how easy they are to bake, too.
All you have to do is wrap them in tin foil, pop them in the oven, and wait until they’re all good and squishy.
There’s something so appetizing to me about topping sweet potatoes with whipped butter. It’s like a special treat.
Maybe I just need to get out more, but I think you’ll agree once you try this baked sweet potato recipe.
It’s super yum.
For the best whipped butter, I rely on my awesome immersion blender.
You can certainly whip the honey butter by hand, but the immersion blender does a great job at making the butter light and fluffy and perfectly whipped. If you’re looking to learn more about immersion blenders, I share why they’re awesome in this post.
Also, if you’d rather, you can leave the tin foil off the sweet potatoes when they’re baking. While I prefer to keep them wrapped up all nice and cozy-like, some find it best to leave them free. The skin will be a bit crispier if you don’t add the foil wrapping.
Let me know in the comments which way you prefer.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, skin on
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tbsp. honey
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup roasted or un-roasted pecans or walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Wrap each sweet potato individually with aluminum foil.
- Place into oven on baking sheet and bake for 45-60 minutes, or until softened (you can check by gently squeezing the potato to see if it gives).
- In a small bowl, combine softened butter, honey and cinnamon. Using a stick blender with whisk attachment (or, if you prefer, a whisk, stand mixer or hand mixer), whip the ingredients together until light and fluffy.
- When sweet potatoes are completely baked, slice each lengthwise but not all the way through. Scoop in whipped butter and serve immediately.
- Sprinkle with chopped roasted pecans (or walnuts) if desired.
I've got your dinners covered this week
- Get my FREE 5-Day Meal Plan plus...
- Organized grocery list to save time and money
- Helpful cooking tips and tricks
- Free videos on forming better cooking skills
- Kitchen conversion and substitution charts