I will forever be unable to separate this recipe from a moment in time about four years ago when Dustin’s father, Rollie, had suddenly become very ill.
Though many aspects of our lives had been put on hold as we tried to adjust to Rollie’s sudden illness and hospitalization, one constant remained: we all needed to eat.
While I waited with Dustin’s family and told stories of Rollie and we all laughed and cried, I also made this recipe for everyone one night.
At least I could share some good food with everyone during this hard time.
On that note, let’s talk about this amazingly simple but totally delicious recipe I often make during the Fall, shall we?
How To Roast Acorn Squash
You won’t believe how simple it is, especially when you taste it. I just love the sweetness you get from roasting acorn squash — I mean…it’s hard to go wrong with tossing some coconut sugar and honey on it. It’s like acorn squash and candy had a baby.
Acorn squash, I heart you.
(And we all miss ya tons, Rollie!)
- 1 medium acorn squash
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar*
- 2 tbsp . honey
- 1/4 tsp . kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper and set aside.
- Slice the acorn squash in half through the stem and remove the seeds.
- Lay flat, cut-side-down, and slice into 1 inch - 1 1/2 inch slices starting at the stem.
- Lay the acorn squash slices out evenly on the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with the coconut sugar and kosher salt, then drizzle with the honey.
- Roast for 40-50 minutes, until the squash is tender and a fork pierces the flesh easily.
- (Remember, you can eat the skin!)
This post was last updated on September 25, 2015 to include new images and a recipe video.
This post contains affiliate links for products I use often and highly recommend.
I've got your dinners covered this week
- Get my FREE 5-Day Meal Plan plus...
- Organized grocery list to save time and money
- Helpful cooking tips and tricks
- Free videos on forming better cooking skills
- Kitchen conversion and substitution charts