This easy chocolate zucchini bread is amazingly simple to make and uses several healthy substitutions. Plus it’s so incredibly delicious and a great way to satisfy your chocolate cravings and still live a clean eating lifestyle.
I forget how ridiculously easy this zucchini bread is to make.
Like SO easy.
Usually, when I think about making bread, I first think of the calories.
Then, I think about the mess it will make on the counter.
Then, I think about the kneading and the waiting to rise.
At that point, I move on to making something easier.
Like buying donuts. Lol – I kid.
BUT. Once I finally get it through my thick [read: lazy] skull, I remember how amazingly simple this healthy zucchini bread is to make. And, it’s not even messy, either. I mean – you just need one mixing bowl and a grater to prepare it.
Within about an hour, you have this GORGEOUS chocolate zucchini bread that is not only absolutely delicious but also healthy. Score!
Does life get better than this?
Nope. No, sir. Nuh uh.
To make this zucchini bread recipe healthier, other than the obvious zucchini addition, I significantly reduce the need for oil by using applesauce. The texture and flavor of the chocolate zucchini bread are hardly affected by this change and you remove all sorts of unnecessary fat. I also use coconut oil instead of your typical vegetable oil and butter. Oh, this chocolate zucchini bread is a low sugar zucchini bread because I replace sugar with coconut sugar.
Told you life does not get better than this.
This zucchini bread with chocolate chips (yes, chocolate chips are involved! Can I get a hooray?) is so tasty and offers a great way to get your chocolate fix and not hate yourself for it.
Bonus – the kids love it, too. My kids even loved it once I told them it had zucchini in it!
HOW TO MAKE ZUCCHINI BREAD
You know I’m a fan of simple recipes with delicious results. And this easy chocolate zucchini bread is no exception. Trust me, it’s super easy to learn how to make zucchini bread.
Here are the steps for how to make zucchini bread:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a loaf pan with coconut oil.
- Mix the ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Transfer the mixture to the loaf pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes.
- Remove from the oven.
- Let the healthy chocolate zucchini bread cool for 10 minutes.
So easy and simple.
HOW TO SHRED ZUCCHINI FOR CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI BREAD
How to grate zucchini for bread – this is a common question I get so here’s my answer: You basically have 2 options: You can shred zucchini for bread with (1) a food processor or (2) a kitchen grater.
How to shred zucchini for bread with a food processor:
- Wash zucchini
- Trim the ends of the zucchini
- Chop the zucchini into small squares
- Place the shredding disk on the food processor. You can use the regular blade if you don’t have a shredding blade
- Toss the zucchini in the food processor or insert the zucchini through the shredding attachment
- Pulse for approximately 30 seconds or until the zucchini shreds are small enough
How to grate zucchini for bread with a kitchen grater:
- Wash zucchini.
- Trim the ends of the zucchini.
- Grate the zucchini on the kitchen grater horizontally to get small zucchini shreds.
Personally, I just use my kitchen grater since it’s easier and pretty quick, but the choice is yours.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF ZUCCHINI
This chocolate bread is healthier than usual because it has zucchini in it and because I replaced the unhealthier ingredients with healthy alternatives. Are you curious to learn more about the health benefits of zucchini?
- contains 0 fat
- is high in water
- is high in fiber
- is high in vitamins, including vitamin B6, vitamin C, and vitamin K
- is high in minerals – potassium and manganese, especially
- contains antioxidants
- contains anti-inflammatory nutrients
Now, let’s translate these facts into health benefits of zucchini:
- zucchini boosts energy
- zucchini is great for weight loss
- zucchini improves digestion
- zucchini slows down aging
- zucchini lowers blood sugar levels
- zucchini promotes heart health
- zucchini improves eye health
- zucchini prevents inflammation
The health benefits of zucchini are quite impressive, don’t you think?
Now you have more reasons to try this chocolate and zucchini bread recipe.
SUBSTITUTE FOR VEGETABLE OIL
What can I substitute for vegetable oil? This is another question I receive frequently so I bet you might be thinking the same thing!
For this healthy zucchini bread, I replace vegetable oil with much less coconut oil and unsweetened applesauce.
Coconut oil is generally better, nutritionally-speaking, than most other oils — especially butter — and it has a rich, sweet flavor that perfectly complements this yummy chocolate zucchini bread. Plus, it works great for greasing the pan and holds up well in the oven.
Applesauce is a great substitute for oil (and even eggs) in baked goods. It’s a great trick to make zucchini bread healthier, but it works for other baked goods such as muffins, cake, and brownies. Make sure your applesauce is unsweetened so you don’t add any unnecessary sugars.
HOW TO BAKE ZUCCHINI BREAD
Learning how to make zucchini bread is easy. And so is learning how to bake zucchini bread.
If you don’t have a lot of baking experience, here are some useful tips for making perfect zucchini bread:
- Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a loaf pan with coconut oil.
- Pour the healthy chocolate zucchini bread mixture into the greased loaf pan and spread evenly.
- Place the loaf in the oven
- Bake for 50-65 minutes
To check if the chocolate zucchini bread is ready, insert a toothpick or knife in the center of the loaf.
- If the toothpick comes out clean, the zucchini bread is ready.
- If not, bake for a few more minutes, and then check again.
HOW TO STORE CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI BREAD
If you don’t plan to eat this healthy chocolate zucchini bread immediately after you removed it from the oven, you can store it in 3 different ways.
You’ll need a lot of self-control to not eat it immediately though. You have been warned, ok? Ok. Now, if you insist, let me tell you how to store zucchini bread.
You can store the chocolate zucchini bread:
- At room temperature, wrapped in foil or plastic wrap for 1 or 2 days. The wrapping will prevent the zucchini bread from drying out.
- In the fridge. Freshly baked chocolate zucchini bread will keep in the fridge for up to 1 week. Wrap the bread in foil or place it in an airtight container to prevent it from drying out.
- In the freezer. Wrap the chocolate zucchini bread in foil or plastic wrap or place it in a Ziploc bag and store it in the freezer for up to 3 months.
3 MORE HEALTHY ZUCCHINI RECIPES
This healthy zucchini chocolate bread is a sweet and delicious way to enjoy zucchinis. But savory zucchini dishes are just as amazing. And I have 3 healthy zucchini recipes for you. I’m sure you’ll like these just as much as you like the zucchini bread.
TURKEY AND QUINOA STUFFED ZUCCHINI BOATS
These Turkey and Quinoa Stuffed Zucchini Boats are healthy, super easy to make, and extra tasty.
The Turkey and Quinoa Stuffed Zucchini Boats make a healthy weeknight dinner. Plus they reheat well so they are also the perfect make-ahead dinner during busy weeks. Get the recipe.
PARMESAN BAKED SQUASH AND ZUCCHINI SPEARS
If you’re looking for a simple and delicious snack option or a healthy dinner side, try these Parmesan Baked Squash And Zucchini Spears.
Zucchini snacks are kinda my thing. I love them because they are easy to make and they are healthy. But, if you don’t want to stuff your face with them, you can always pair them with a simple meat and serve them for dinner. Get the recipe.
HOW TO MAKE ZUCCHINI NOODLES
Learning How to Make Zucchini Noodles will allow you to enjoy all your favorite pasta dishes guilt-free.
Zucchini noodles or zoodles replace traditional pasta pretty well, they are easy to make, and ready in less than 10 minutes. Get the recipe.
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp melted and cooled coconut oil, plus more for greasing loaf pan
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini (about 2 medium zucchinis)
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate morsels
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9x5 loaf pan with coconut oil and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the coconut sugar, 2 tbsp. coconut oil, eggs, applesauce and vanilla extract. Whisk together until well-blended.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt and stir to combine, taking care not to over-stir.
- Add the shredded zucchini and chocolate chips and fold into the mixture until well-blended.
- Pour the mixture into the greased loaf pan and spread evenly.
- Place in the oven and bake for 50-65 minutes, or until a knife or toothpick comes out clean from the center of the loaf.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let rest in for 10 minutes. If desired, transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links for the kitchen item(s) I use 🙂