Did you ever think you could fully enjoy a bagel and still follow a clean eating lifestyle? These bagels are so easy to make and taste amazing – plus you can have so much fun with all the toppings!
I’ve got mad love for bagels.
They are just so perfect — especially when they’re fresh from the oven.
Chewy, filling, flavorful, soft and, of course, bagel-y delicious with all the toppings.
Friends, these homemade bagels don’t need to be boiled, don’t require a ton of time, don’t have to rise, are HEALTHY, and are super tasty and easy! They are basically total awesomeness and the perfect clean substitute!
How To Make Bagels At Home
I’ve made bagels in the past, but they required yeast and rising time and, TBH, I just don’t really need that in my life all the time. So, I decided to make these homemade bagels instead with baking powder.
Because quick bread + bagel + clean eating is my new win.
I think you’re gonna be shocked at how easy it is to make bagels at home. All you need are 4 ingredients. Yep: 4. Whole wheat pastry flour, baking powder, sea salt, and greek yogurt.
Here are the super easy steps for how to make bagels at home:
- Combine the 4 ingredients in a large bowl and mix together with spatula until it starts to stick to itself in a large ball
- Knead the dough about 15-20 times until it starts to stick to itself, not to your hands.
- Divide the dough into into 8 equal portions.
- Roll each portion out into a thick cylinder or rope and then join the ends to form your bagel
- Brush the top of the bagels with an egg wash
- Top with any toppings (everything seasoning, cinnamon sugar, sea salt, sesame seeds, etc.) or leave plain
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 20-25 minutes, then let them cool for about 5 minutes
It’s basically just as easy as making banana bread but forming it into bagels first.
Do You Have to Boil Bagels?
So I totally thought you had to boil bagels in order to make them chewy and to get that perfect bagel texture. But YOU DON’T! Woot. While that technique works perfectly well, it does take extra time and uses more dishes. Gonna pass, thanks!
This homemade bagel recipe doesn’t require any boiling or rising. Instead, just mix together all the ingredients, form into bagel shapes, and then bake.
Perfect texture, perfect flavor, perfect bagel goodness. No boiling required.
Ideas for Toppings for Homemade Bagels
Alright, so now you have the base for a delicious bagel. If you don’t want plain bagels and want some topping ideas, here you go:
- sesame seeds
- cinnamon sugar (recipe below)
- poppy seeds
- everything seasoning (recipe below)
- slice of cheddar cheese plus sliced jalapenos
- cheddar cheese
- sea salt flakes
My absolute favorite bagel used to be a jalapeno and cheese bagel with onion and chive cream cheese. Mmm. But, lately, I’ve been all about the everything bagel.
Homemade Bagel Recipe
These homemade bagels are so easy to make, only need 4 ingredients to make, and are clean-eating. Learn how to make homemade bagels plus choose from all sorts of toppings. Making bagels at home has never been easier.
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups plain greek yogurt
- 1 egg, beaten
- Start by preheating your oven to 375 degrees F and lining a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine whole wheat pastry flour, baking powder, sea salt, and plain greek yogurt. Combine using a large spoon or spatula until it starts to stick to itself in a large ball.
- Transfer the dough to a large, flat surface that has been lightly dusted with flour, and knead the dough about 15-20 times until it starts to stick to itself, not to your hands.
- Divide the dough into into 8 equal portions.
- Roll each portion out into a thick cylinder or rope and then join the ends to form your bagel.
Brush the top of the bagels with the beaten egg. (This is optional, but it helps the toppings stay on better and, even for the plain bagels, makes the top bake better.)
You can bake now as plain bagels, or make toppings (listed below). Other options for toppings can be sesame seeds, poppy seeds, flaked sea salt or you can just leave plain.
- Once you have all your toppings on, transfer the bagels to the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, then let them cool for about 5 minutes before devouring.
If you love an everything bagel, to make your own everything topping, in a mixing bowl, combine, 2 tbsp. poppy seeds, 1 tbsp. white sesame seeds, 1 tbsp. black sesame seeds, 1 1/2 tbsp. dried minced garlic, 1 1/2 tbsp. dried onion flakes, and flaked 1 1/2 tsp sea salt. Mix this together and then sprinkle liberally over the top of your bagel.
For cinnamon sugar bagels, just combine 2 tbsp. coconut sugar with 1 tsp. ground cinnamon in a small bowl and mix together for a sweet cinnamon sugar bagel. Sprinkle liberally over the top of your bagel.
Nutritional information is for bagel with egg wash only, no toppings.
This post contains affiliate links for products I use regularly and highly recommend.
I've got your dinners covered this week
- Get my FREE 5-Day Meal Plan plus...
- Organized grocery list to save time and money
- Helpful cooking tips and tricks
- Free videos on forming better cooking skills
- Kitchen conversion and substitution charts