This post was last updated on January 10, 2015 to include new images and a recipe video.
Especially this time of year, I love a good pumpkin spice muffin recipe.
For me, there’s something very special about the combination of pumpkin, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice.
(Um…and a pumpkin spice latte, but that’s an entirely different post!)
The flavor combination is something that, if you ask me, just doesn’t nearly get appreciated enough throughout the rest of the year. Kinda like eggnog and, well, giving me gifts for that matter. Heehee.
This pumpkin spice muffin recipe makes soft, moist, dense, and delicate muffins. I have made them both as regular-sized muffins and as jumbo muffins and both are tasty.
Muffins are so darn easy to make, too. You barely need more than a muffin tin, a large bowl and a mixing spoon.
I mean, c’mon, right? It’s pretty much effortless baking at its best.
You don’t need to roast your own pumpkin for this recipe, but I highly recommend it. Might as well enjoy the fresh pumpkin while it’s still around!
I also love adding a cream cheese frosting to these muffins because the combination of flavors is outstanding. So yum.
Pumpkin Spice Muffin Recipe
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil plus more if greasing muffin tin
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 4 oz cream cheese 1/2 package, softened
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a muffin tin with vegetable oil or line with cups.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine pumpkin puree, sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, salt and ginger. Stir to combine.
- Add flour, baking powder and baking soda and stir just until incorporated.
- Pour mixture into muffin tin and place into oven.
- Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- While muffins are baking, beat butter and cream cheese until smooth using a stand mixer or hand mixer. Then, add the vanilla. and mix to combine.
- Slowly, add the powdered sugar and beat until thick and spreadable.