It takes just 10 minutes to prep this flavorful and healthy slow cooker hot and sour soup. With just 206 calories and only 14g of carbs per serving you can enjoy this comfort food without any guilt.
Without fail, every time I go to a Chinese restaurant, I start everything off with a yummy cup of hot and sour soup. I always just get a cup because, sadly, no one else in my family likes it.
But, this means I get the cup all to myself, which is a nice consolation.
Ever since I was a kid, hot and sour soup has been my favorite Chinese soup. Sure…wonton soup and egg drop are great, but there’s just something about the combination of flavors and textures that I’ve only ever experienced with my beloved hot and sour soup that I simply adore and can never get enough of.
It wasn’t until recently, shockingly, that I realized I could make this yummy soup for myself at home.
I always chuckle a little to myself when I come to that realization – “WAIT, Lacey — you can make this at HOME!” Duh! You think I’d just know that by now, but some things feel like they can only be enjoyed at restaurants.
So I decided to make my own hot and sour soup, but I wanted it to be easy so I used my crock pot. Slow cookers are just the best for soups – they make the whole process so easy and simple, plus add so much flavor to the food because of the length of time it’s gently cooking.
HOW TO MAKE HOT AND SOUR SOUP IN A SLOW COOKER
It was pretty cool to break down my favorite soup into its pieces which has given me a deeper appreciation for all the flavors and textures I enjoy so much.
So if you’re looking for a great new way to enjoy a take-out favorite at home, try making your own hot and sour soup using a slow cooker. It’s shockingly easy and very satisfying – which is pretty much how I feel about most all my slow cooker recipes.
The best thing about cooking soups in a crock pot is that you can just throw in whatever ingredients your heart desires or you have on hand into the bowl and let the slow cooker do its magic! Not only is it quick and easy to make but to clean up afterward, too.
So yay for slow cookers, too 🙂
If you want to kick up the heat on this soup, just add in a little more chili sauce or reduce it if you’d rather it be more mild. The heat can easily be adjusted at the end before serving if you’d rather keep it on the milder side for cooking. As written, it’s relatively mild, but with a little kick – which is the way I prefer.
IS THE SLOW COOKER HOT AND SOUR SOUP HEALTHY?
With just 206 calories per serving, the hot and sour soup is not only healthy, but also a great example that you don’t have to give up the foods you love in order to make healthy changes to your eating habits. One serving of the slow cooker hot and sour soup has only 14g of carbohydrates and 17g of protein. Just make sure to always use the low sodium chicken broth and soy sauce to keep that sodium level in place.
CAN I FREEZE OR REHEAT SLOW COOKER HOT AND SOUR SOUP?
Another great thing about cooking soups using a slow cooker is that you can easily heat up the leftovers and you have a nutritious and filling dinner ready in a matter of minutes. My hot and sour soup recipe yields 6 servings total and if you’re not feeling like soup for dinner, split the leftovers and throw them in the freezer.
- Allow the soup to cool completely. Since slow cookers retain heat very well, you may want to transfer to a large bowl and place in the refrigerator to cool more quickly.
- Freeze in either gallon– or quart-sized freezer bags or freezer safe containers for easy thawing and storage.
- Leave enough space at the top of the bag to allow for expansion during freezing. Squeeze as much air as possible out of the top of the bag and seal securely.
- Place the soup-filled freezer bags in the freezer, in a single, flat layer (using a rimmed baking sheet is helpful). Allow to freeze completely. Then, stack them on top of each other or standing side by side.
- Thaw bags of frozen hot and sour soup in the refrigerator overnight.
Follow these easy freezing tips and you’ll be set for the rest of the week!
Slow Cooker Hot And Sour Soup
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms thinly sliced
- 6 cremini mushrooms thinly sliced
- 3 oz pork shoulder or loin thinly sliced
- 1 can bamboo shoots 8-ounce, drained and thinly sliced
- 8 ounces extra firm tofu drained and sliced in 1/4-inch strips
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp fresh ginger minced
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar plus more to taste
- 1 to 2 dried red chili peppers
- 1 tbsp chili sauce
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce plus more to taste*
- 1 1/2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 tsp toasted sesame seed oil
- 4-6 green onions sliced
- In the bowl of a slow cooker, add the thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms and cremini mushrooms, low sodium chicken broth, thinly sliced bamboo shoots, thinly sliced pork loin, sliced extra firm tofu, chili sauce, dried red chili peppers, minced garlic, minced fresh ginger, rice vinegar, low sodium soy sauce and coconut sugar, and stir to combine.
- Cover the crock pot and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 5-6 hours.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine arrowroot starch with 2 tablespoons water and stir to mix well.
- Add this mixture to the slow cooker and stir well, then cover again for 10 minutes, or until the soup has thickened.
- Then, slowly pour in the beaten eggs in a thin stream while stirring the soup, and then stir in the toasted sesame oil.
- To serve, ladle the soup into a bowl and top with green onions.
* For Gluten-Free option, use coconut aminos or liquid aminos.
This post contains affiliate links for products I use frequently and highly recommend.