This post was last updated on August 9, 2014 to include new images and a recipe video.
Yay, here’s another side! And a very, very tasty one at that!
This is probably my favorite side. I love green beans, for starters.
Then, I add butter, garlic and parmesan. Really?
It’s like not even fair, I know.
These make the perfect side for salmon, meatloaf, pork chops and even your Thanksgiving turkey. I also think they are wonderful along with my mashed sweet potatoes. They’re the perfect quick side to use in my meal planning service, No-Fail Meals.
I like mine just a little crunchy, so I don’t cook them all the way when steaming them. The whole side dish comes together really quickly and leaves your plate just as fast.
When shopping for green beans, I take the time to pick out the pretty, non-browned, plump ones, as opposed to just shoving a big ‘ol handful of beans right into the bag. It actually makes quite a difference in the final product.
Garlic Parmesan Green Beans
- 1 lb. fresh green beans, stems removed
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Using a large pot and a steamer basket or colander that will fit inside, add approximately 1-2 inches of water to the pot and heat over high heat. Once the water has reached a boil, add the green beans to the steamer basket or colander and cover. Allow to steam for 6-8 minutes, or until the green beans are starting to become tender but have not finished cooking. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large skillet. Add garlic and cook 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer steamed green beans to the melted butter and garlic. Toss to coat green beans evenly and continue to saute for approximately 5 minutes over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper and add more if necessary, to taste.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle grated parmesan. Toss once again until parmesan is melted.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links for the kitchen item(s) I use 🙂
I've got your dinners covered this week
- Get my FREE 5-Day Meal Plan plus...
- Organized grocery list to save time and money
- Helpful cooking tips and tricks
- Free videos on forming better cooking skills
- Kitchen conversion and substitution charts