Is apple cider vinegar really effective for weight loss? This post will give you the skinny, answering why (and how) apple cider vinegar can help you lose weight. Plus tips on how to properly take it!
If you’ve been following my blog for some time, you know that I fawn over apple cider vinegar.
It’s helped me overcome my struggle with weight and has earned its place as an absolute staple in my kitchen. Full disclosure: Not only do I enjoy drinking it…I look forward to it!
But there was a noticeable gap in the specifics of ACV and weight loss. So we’re honing in on that today, covering topics like how to burn belly fat, relieve bloating, and how to protect your teeth from ACV’s acidic properties.
If you’re not yet drinking a daily dose of ACV as part of your clean(ish) diet, keep reading because it might be just what you’re looking for. Let’s go!
How Does Apple Cider Vinegar Reduce Belly Fat?
Belly fat is often a struggle (especially for women) because it’s easy to gain and hard to lose. The acetic acid found in Apple Cider Vinegar can help reduce belly fat due to the following four principles:
It can help to…
- Boost your metabolism
- Lower your blood sugar (especially when taken at night)
- Reduce belly fat storage
- Burn more body fat (through increasing the presence of fat-burning genes)
By reducing your body fat percentage and boosting your metabolism, ACV can be integral for anyone trying to lose belly fat. Supplement it with a clean(ish) diet and regular exercise for best results.
What Else Makes It Good For Weight Loss?
Remember, don’t drink apple cider vinegar straight. It can irritate the throat and esophagus. Plus, it’s also hard on the enamel of the teeth, so I always suggest diluting it with water. (Or, even some olive oil with a salad!)
How Fast Does Apple Cider Vinegar Help You Lose Weight?
According to a study published in the Journal of Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Biochemistry, Apple Cider Vinegar can result in effective weight loss after three months (or 12 weeks).
People in this study dropped an average of 4 pounds by consuming 1 to 2 tablespoons of diluted apple cider vinegar every day.
Is It Better To Take Apple Cider Vinegar In The Morning Or At Night?
This is a question I get asked all the time so let’s run through the basic facts to make an informed decision.
Have Apple Cider Vinegar in the morning if:
- You suffer from indigestion or heartburn: You’ll probably want to take your ACV in the morning when you have more time to digest it. (Also, when you’re active and not going straight to bed.)
- You’re doing intermittent fasting: Apple cider vinegar doesn’t break a fast and can curb your appetite. It can also reduce your blood sugar levels after your meals (which can help you avoid an energy crash).
Have it in the evening if:
- You have diabetes or are considered pre-diabetic: Research has shown that ACV before bed may help reduce blood sugar levels. So this may be a good choice for you. Please know, this will not replace your medication and it’s always best to consult your doctor!
Psst – I did write a whole post on When to Drink Apple Cider Vinegar if you want more info on this.
Does Apple Cider Vinegar Help With Bloating?
Because apple cider improves digestion, drinking it can also help reduce bloating. It can also help relieve heartburn. Hooray!
Proper digestion means we have sufficient acidity in the stomach to absorb the nutrients in our food. A lack of stomach acids can prevent us from breaking down the food and nutrients (which can cause digestive issues, gas, and bloating).
Simply put, ACV is high in acidity, which can help facilitate smooth digestion.
If bloating is something you consistently struggle with, you may find this post useful: 10 Easy Steps To Reduce Bloating Fast.
Is Apple Cider Vinegar Bad For Your Teeth?
Yes, regularly drinking any vinegar can lead to the erosion of your tooth enamel (if you don’t drink it properly).
It’s important to know that you cannot regrow tooth enamel — once you lose it, it’s gone. So you want to make sure to protect it because it’s what protects your teeth from decay and disease.
Although ACV and other kinds of vinegar are harsh on the teeth, there are still ways to keep your teeth safe.
- Rinse your mouth with water after having your ACV (to make sure it’s not sitting on your teeth the whole day). DO NOT brush your teeth immediately after because this will hurt the enamel.
- Always dilute it in water. Never have straight shots of ACV.
- Drink it through a straw to protect your teeth from enamel erosion.
What Happens If You Drink ACV Everyday?
Drinking ACV every day (in moderation) can be excellent for your overall health. Here are some of the benefits of drinking apple cider vinegar daily:
- It lowers blood sugar levels
- It improves insulin sensitivity
- Can help keep you full
- It improves digestion (and acts as a natural laxative)
- It can lower cholesterol
- May lower blood pressure and improve heart health
- It can reduce belly fat
- It may prevent and decrease the risk of certain cancers (and slow down the growth of cancer cells)
Pretty impressive, right?
How Do You Use Apple Cider Vinegar For Weight Loss?
Whether it’s for weight loss or to maximize its many other benefits, here are some ways I’ve found to get a daily dose of ACV properly:
- Mix one tablespoon into your salad dressing
- Add one tablespoon into a cup of water as a drink (Again, never take it as a shot. Always dilute. If you’re sensitive to its taste, you can add in some honey!)
- Make it into a vinegar tonic. I explain how in this video with two other healthy drinks.
- You may spread the consumption in two to three doses throughout the day. It’s best to drink ACV before meals.
ACV does amazingly well to support intermittent fasting too! It helps suppress appetite (during your fast) and lowers blood sugar levels (when you break your fast).
More Helpful Posts For Weight Loss
I hope this helped you see just how awesome apple cider vinegar is, especially for anyone trying to lose weight. For more practical and sustainable weight loss tips, check out these posts:
- 12 Worst Weight Loss Mistakes (And How to Avoid Them!)
- 10 Best Foods To Lose Fat & Build Muscle | Yes, You Can Do Both!
- How To Lose 5 Pounds Fast | 8 Habits For Healthy Weight Loss
- 10 Popular Weight Loss Diets Reviewed
- How To Lose Weight Without Cardio
This post contains affiliate links for products I use regularly and highly recommend.