Enjoy this hearty, healthy, and EASY butternut squash Instant Pot chili — ready in just 20 minutes! This Instant Pot chili is vegan, GF, clean eating approved, and easily made paleo, too.
Yes, it took me what feels like FOREVER to finally buy an Instant Pot.
Yes, I’ve been wanting to make butternut squash chili for like EVER.
Yes, I jumped for joy when I learned I could make butternut squash Instant Pot chili in under 20 minutes.
No, I didn’t believe the chili only had to be under pressure for 6 minutes.
Yes, I was wrong. Again, amazed.
Yes, all hail the Instant Pot and this butternut squash Instant Pot chili right here.
It’s vegan, GF, paleo, clean, darn easy, and super fast.
Yes, I’m already planning out my next Instant Pot recipes (see more below on that!).
How to Cook Butternut Squash in an Instant Pot
Fortunately, cooking butternut squash in an Instant Pot is super easy and doesn’t take much time at all. Here are the steps you’ll need to follow for how to cook butternut squash in an Instant Pot (instructions also below in this butternut squash Instant Pot chili recipe):
- Remove the skin of the butternut squash using a vegetable peeler
- Slice both ends off the butternut squash
- Slice the squash in half using a large, sharp knife
- Remove the seeds from the inside of the squash and then discard the seeds
- Lay the cut halves cut-side down on a cutting board and then dice into 1-inch cubes
- Place into the Instant Pot, along with the other ingredients for the chili
- Close the lid and set valve to Sealing
- Press the Manual/Pressure Cook button and cook on high pressure for 6 minutes
- Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and then release the remaining pressure manually
If you’re going to cook the butternut squash in an Instant Pot by itself for a recipe other than this chili, you’ll want to add a little liquid as well to help cook and steam it while it’s under pressure.
How To Convert an Instant Pot Recipe into a Slow Cooker Recipe
Don’t yet have an Instant Pot? That’s ok! It took me a while to jump on buying one, too. The good news is you can easily convert this Instant Pot chili recipe into a slow cooker recipe.
While you won’t be able to saute the same way in your slow cooker, you can either choose to saute the onion in a separate skillet and then transfer into the slow cooker or just skip that step. Then, add everything into the slow cooker as you would the Instant Pot, cover, and cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for about 3-4 hours, or until the butternut squash is tender.
If you’re ready to get your own Instant Pot, this is the one I use and it’s been awesome!
More Healthy Instant Pot Recipes
Now that I’m on the Instant Pot wagon and have seen how easy and quick it is to make awesome food, I’m planning to make all sorts of Instant Pot recipes. Here’s what I have shared so far on the blog:
What Instant Pot recipes would you like me to make next? Share in the comments below!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1/2 small jalapeno, chopped (seeds removed)
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 15.5 oz. can black beans (no salt added) (do not add if paleo, as beans are not paleo)
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 4 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 1 bay leaf
- optional: lime wedge, fresh cilantro, avocado (for garnish)
Press the "Saute" button on the Instant Pot and add the olive oil.
Once the oil is hot, add the red onion, garlic, jalapeno, sea salt, black pepper, paprika, and cumin. Cook until the onions are soft, around 3-4 minutes.
Stir in the black beans, diced tomatoes, and the broth.
Add butternut squash on top of the mixture; do not stir.
Close the Instant Pot lid and set valve to sealing. Press the "Manual" button and cook on high pressure for 6 minutes.
Let the pressure release naturally and then release the remaining pressure manually.
Remove and discard the bay leaf.
Serve the butternut squash chili topped with a lime wedge, fresh cilantro, and diced avocado.
This post contains affiliate links for products I use regularly and highly recommend.