So, I’m not gonna lie…
I’m pretty darn impressed with myself on this one, guys.
I’d been wanting to make homemade tots for years and am so glad I finally tried it out.
We’ve got a keeper right here.
You’ll see: There’s something about forming these little tots of healthy broccoli goodness that makes you feel super accomplished.
Like “Hey! I just made BROCCOLI TOTS!” accomplished.
Is this silly? Quite possibly…
But, alas, it’s true.
I know what you’re wondering right about now…
Lacey, how do they taste?
Do they taste like tots?
Do your kids like them?
Are they difficult to make?
Are they worth it?
To your questions, let me just say this. Yes, they are very tasty. Yes, your kids will love them. Yes, they taste like tots, but with broccoli.
Yes, they are worth it.
I mean, we’re talking about healthy tots here, peeps. Clean broccoli tots, even.
This is healthy eating gold!
Because why not LOVE your food AND live healthy?
Because: do this.
Because CLEAN broccoli tots, peeps!
Clean Broccoli Tots
- 5 cups raw broccoli florets approx. 2 med. heads
- 2 med. red potatoes peeled and quartered
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 2 tbsp italian parsley
- 1/4 cup yellow onion finely diced
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the broccoli florets and red potato to a steamer basket and steam until fully tender, about 8-10 minutes. Once tender, remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Chop the broccoli and potatoes very finely. You'll need 2 cups chopped broccoli and 1 cup chopped potato.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chopped broccoli, chopped potato, egg, parmesan cheese, almond meal, parsley, yellow onion, salt, garlic powder, and pepper and mix well.
- Scoop about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the mixture and gently press between your hands to form a ball, then shape into a tater-tot shape by gently pinching together both ends with your fingers.
- Place the tots, slightly separated, on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until golden brown and crispy, about 18-24 minutes, turning half way through.
This post contains affiliate links for products I use frequently and highly recommend.
I've got your dinners covered this week
- Get my FREE 5-Day Meal Plan plus...
- Organized grocery list to save time and money
- Helpful cooking tips and tricks
- Free videos on forming better cooking skills
- Kitchen conversion and substitution charts