This post was last updated on May 22, 2015 to include a recipe video.
I forget how ridiculously easy this bread is to make.
Like so easy.
Usually, when I think about making bread, I first think of the calories.
Then, I think about the mess it will make on the counter.
Then, I think about the kneading and the waiting to rise.
At that point, I move on to making something easier.
Like buying donuts. Lol – I kid.
BUT. Once I finally get it through my thick [read: lazy] skull, I remember how amazingly simple this bread is to make. And, it’s not even messy, either. I mean – you just need one mixing bowl and a grater to prepare it.
Within about an hour, you have this GORGEOUS, dark chocolate zucchini bread that is not only absolutely delicious but also healthy. Score!
Does life get better that that?
Nope. No, sir. Nuh uh.
To make it healthier, other than the obvious zucchini addition, I significantly reduce the need for oil by using applesauce. The texture and flavor are hardly affected by this change and you remove all sorts of unnecessary fat.
I’m also thinking about trying out a gluten-free flour, but that’s for later down the road.
I also use coconut oil instead of your typical vegetable oil and butter.
Coconut oil is so hot right now. It seems like it came out of nowhere to be super popular, doesn’t it? No – just me?
Mmm…healthy chocolate zucchini bread. Possibly my FAVORITE baked good ever. I use unsweetened applesauce and coconut oil plus shredded zucchini to up the healthy goodness. Because we all need more healthy chocolate goodness. This is a super kid-friendly recipe to make and eat. Recipe #ontheblog at https://www.asweetpeachef.com/bread/healthy-chocolate-zucchini-bread/ @yahoofood @food52 @thefeedfeed @food_glooby @saveur
Truthfully, though, it is generally better, nutritionally-speaking, than most other oils — especially butter — and it has a rich, sweet flavor that perfectly complements this yummy bread. Plus, it works great for greasing the pan and holds up well in the oven.
This bread is so tasty and offers a great way to get your chocolate fix and not hate yourself for it.
Bonus – the kids love it, too. My girls even loved it once I told them it had zucchini in it!
Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp coconut oil plus more for greasing loaf pan
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded zucchini about 2 medium zucchinis
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9x5 loaf pan with coconut oil and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the coconut sugar, 2 tbsp. coconut oil, eggs, applesauce and vanilla extract. Whisk together until well-blended.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt and stir to combine, taking care not to over-stir.
- Add the shredded zucchini and chocolate chips and fold into the mixture until well-blended.
- Pour the mixture into the greased loaf pan and spread evenly.
- Place in the oven and bake for 50-65 minutes, or until a knife or toothpick comes out clean from the center of the loaf.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let rest in for 10 minutes. If desired, transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links for the kitchen item(s) I use 🙂
I've got your dinners covered this week
- Get my FREE 5-Day Meal Plan plus...
- Organized grocery list to save time and money
- Helpful cooking tips and tricks
- Free videos on forming better cooking skills
- Kitchen conversion and substitution charts