There was something about the family getting together on those mornings without anywhere to run off to, with my mom in the kitchen, and me at the table…just hanging out, enjoying the day and the family, and waiting to be fed.
I miss those days.
I miss not having errands to do. Not worrying about bills. Not worrying about work or obligations or even calories.
Just enjoying a hot breakfast my mom made me.
But, there are bills. And obligations. And errands that need to be tended to.
And there are most definitely calories.
And, now, there are kiddos at MY table, waiting on me to feed them.
But, the calories, refined flours, and refined sugars I enjoyed as a kid with my Bisquick pancakes, slathered in margarine and drowned in Aunt Jemima (high fructose corn) syrup just wont cut it nowadays…
So, I decided to make my family pancakes in a whole new way. In a way I could feel good about the food they were eating. Pancakes packed full of fiber, protein, vitamins, and other essential nutrients.
Read: Pancakes we could have every weekend.
That’s when these tasty apple cinnamon oat bran pancakes came to be one day. They were a winner from the very start.
My kiddos love them because they get pancakes and they love the flavors. I love them because of their goodness and tastiness, plus they’re super easy to make. Plus: pancakes.
I even stick these oat bran pancakes into the girls’ lunches sometimes with a little cup of pure maple syrup and they enjoy them for a healthy lunch at school.
Overall, these pancakes have been a great addition to this family…and I hope to yours, as well.
As written, this recipe makes 6 pancakes which, for us is good for one meal. This recipe can easily be doubled if you want to make more, however, or save some for later to pack in lunches. They also reheat well. for a quick breakfast during the week.
While any apple will do for these tasty pancakes, I have found the best flavor comes from crisp, sweet apples, like fugi, gala, and honeycrisp (compared to more tart apples, like granny smith apples).
Happy pancake eating!
Apple Cinnamon Oat Bran Pancakes
- 1 apple crisp, sweet apples are best
- 1 cup oat bran
- 1/3 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk plus more to reach desired consistency
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp coconut oil melted
- Peel and de-core the apple. (Any sweet, crisp apple will do for this recipe, like a gala, fuji, or honeycrisp.)
- Once the skin and core are removed, chop the apple into fine, even pieces.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chopped apple, oat bran, old fashioned oats, baking powder, ground cinnamon, eggs, unsweetened almond milk, honey, and coconut oil. Stir well. (The mixture should be thick, but soupy and pourable. If necessary, you can add a touch more almond milk to loosen.
- Once the pan is hot, pour 1/4 cup of the batter onto the hot pan. (No need to grease the pan since the batter contains the coconut oil which will prevent it from sticking.)
- Cook the pancake for 3-4 minutes, then flip and cook an additional 3-4 minutes, or until golden-brown.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
- To serve, you can drizzle with some pure maple syrup or honey.
This post contains affiliate links for products I use regularly and highly recommend.
I've got your dinners covered this week
- Get my FREE 5-Day Meal Plan plus...
- Organized grocery list to save time and money
- Helpful cooking tips and tricks
- Free videos on forming better cooking skills
- Kitchen conversion and substitution charts