In my last post, I shared how to make spaghetti squash noodles from just simply roasting some spaghetti squash. Today, I wanted to give you a delicious spaghetti meat sauce from scratch to go with those tasty low-carb noodles.
Sound good? Awesome!
So, let’s talk about the meat part of this sauce. Because it is good and meaty.
For almost all my life, I haven’t been much of a meat person. Sure, I have always enjoyed bacon and burgers and steak and such, but I never really craved meat to any large degree. I could go with or without most days and I’d be fine.
This was always a point of contention between Dustin and me since his idea of any “meal” is that it must contain meat. And lots of it.
But, you know, he liked me so he dealt with this one very minor flaw of mine.
Then, after Hunter was born, I started really focusing on getting healthy. I took up weightlifting for the first time ever and started following a high protein, low carb, “eating clean” kinda diet and stuff started to change. I started noticing how protein gave me energy and my body craved it.
Deli sliced ham. Burgers. Steaks. Chicken. Anything high in protein, baby! Gimme! Gimme! And I’m loving it.
And Dustin’s loving it, too. Which, I guess, means I no longer have any flaws. Sweet!
Enter this spaghetti meat sauce from scratch I made the other day. Oh my goodness…this is a double meat spaghetti recipe right here. This is a good one, folks. This is the kind of recipe Dustin and I realize I’ve nailed the moment we take our first bite.
The combination of the Italian sausage and lean ground beef really work well together. Add that all together with some tasty tomato sauce and freshly picked herbs from our garden and you have a meal that we’ll enjoy every week.
To keep the carbs low (and because they’re super tasty!), I use spaghetti squash noodles instead of regular spaghetti. Or, this sauce would also be amazingly delicious served over zucchini noodles or homemade pasta.
Now…the from scratch part. This is fully from scratch. Meaning I use my own simple tomato sauce as the base. When I make the tomato sauce, I double or even triple the recipe so I can freeze 2-cup portions that can be poured straight into the pan once defrosted. It’s such tastiness and such goodness.
Wanna see how easy this tomato sauce is to make? Watch me make the whole thing from scratch in this video right here.
I hope you give it a try!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt plus more to taste
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper plus more to taste
- 8-10 fresh basil leaves finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme chopped
- 1 tsp fresh oregano chopped
- 4 cups simple tomato sauce get the recipe here
- optional: parmesan cheese for garnish
- Add the olive oil to a fry pan and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add the ground beef and italian sausage to the pan and cook until the meat starts to brown on all sides, about 7-10 minutes. Once starting to brown, add the onion and cook mixture until the onions are tender and the meat is well-browned, approximately 8-10 minutes longer.
- Add the garlic and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the sauce and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a simmer and reduce to medium-low heat.
- Add the herbs, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot.