This post was last updated on April 10, 2015 to include new images.
I’ve made this Spinach Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing many, many times. And it’s soooo good.
I really enjoy it because it combines vibrant flavors with different textures which leaves your mouth and tastebuds guessing, but in a very good bacon-y way. There’s crumbled bacon, crisp spinach, thinly sliced red onions and a warm bacon dressing made with red wine vinegar, some sugar, and reserved bacon grease.
Because: bacon grease.
Seriously, though, the salad doesn’t feel heavy, like one might think. Rather, the warm bacon dressing lightly coats the salad while the red onion and red wine vinegar cut through any “greasiness.”
As written, this recipe can be a full dinner for two or can stretch for four people as a lighter serving.
- 8 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 2-4 large eggs
- 8 slices thick bacon
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard can substitute spicy mustard
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 4-6 large white mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 red onion very thinly sliced
- Add the eggs to a deep pot and completely cover with cold water. Heat the pan over medium-high heat until the water starts to boil. Once the water boils, turn off the heat, cover the pan with a lid and allow to sit for 12 minutes. After 12 minutes, carefully drain the hot water and rinse the hard-boiled eggs in cold water to stop them from cooking further. Set the eggs aside to cool. When ready to serve, peel them and slice in half.
- While the eggs are boiling, fry the bacon in a large fry pan over medium heat until crispy, flipping occasionally. Once crispy, remove from the pan and place on a paper towel to cool and drain, reserving 3 tbsp. of the bacon grease.
- When the bacon is cooled, crumble and set aside.
- Transfer the 3 tbsp. bacon grease to a small mixing bowl and whisk in the red wine vinegar, sugar, Dijon mustard, kosher salt, and black pepper. Season with any additional salt or pepper, to taste.
- Place the spinach, mushrooms and sliced red onion in a large mixing bowl and toss to combine. Add the dressing and bacon and toss to combine.
- Divide the salad between 2-4 plates or bowls and evenly divide the halved eggs among them.
- Serve while dressing is still warm.