I spend quite a lot of time on this blog. I plan out the recipes I want to share, what ingredients I want to use, how I want to write about them, how I want the finished product to look in the photos, etc.
I take the time to think about what might be good to share with you all — what would be interesting and enticing.
I have lists — lots of lists. Some lists have different recipes I’ve tried over the years and on which I want to make changes to improve before sharing them. Some lists are ideas I’ve never tried, but would like to some day. And some lists are recipes I know I want to share but I need to get around to making them and actually taking pictures.
And then there are the recipes I make — without even really thinking about them — on a regular basis at home for my family. Recipes without written recipes. Like this Simple Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette.
This is my go-to salad. In fact, it’s so much my go-to salad, I neglected to realize I can even share it with you all because of how “normal” it is in our home.
Now, “normal” in this sense by no meals ordinary. This is an awesome salad. It makes a great side salad or even a main course if you want to add some protein like grilled chicken or steak to it. By “normal,” I simply mean it’s my dependable, easy and, well, go-to choice. Um, isn’t that what this blog is all about?
Having said all that, I’d like to share with you this lovely salad recipe with a very basic, but tasty, balsamic vinaigrette. This is the salad and salad dressing I use in a pinch that never seems to fail me. It’s a comfort thing…it’s always there and it’s always good. My kinda recipe.
And, now, it’s yours to use as well.
- ⅓ cup good quality balsamic vinegar
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ¼ cup good quality olive oil
- 2 cups mixed baby greens (or spring mix)
- 1 tomato, cut into eights
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ red onion, very thinly sliced
- pinch freshly ground black pepper
- handful croutons
- optional: sliced grapes, sliced mushrooms, sliced avocado, sliced green onions
- For the dressing, pour balsamic vinegar in a small mixing bowl and black pepper. Stir to combine. While whisking the mixture, slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Mix very well. Set aside.
- Add the mixed baby greens, tomato, feta, red onion and half of the croutons, to a medium-to-large mixing bowl. Add 2-3 tbsp. Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing to the salad and toss. Add remaining croutons and any additional dressing to suit your preferences and toss again. The ingredients should all be lightly coated with the dressing but not drenched. Serve immediately.
Want more easy recipes?
If so, sign up now to receive a FREE copy of my eCookbook with 40 original ASPC recipes. Plus, get emails with even more easy recipes and cooking tips. Sign up now!