Anti-inflammatory breakfast recipes are a game changer. This post will provide delicious and satisfying recipes that will bring balance to your day, and share foods to avoid in the morning!
Inflammation. What a charged word! I know how the mere thought of inflammation can freak people out. When really, inflammation can simply be the body’s natural response to trauma or injury.
But what isn’t natural is when our body is in a constant state of inflammation…and can’t heal because of unhealthy lifestyle choices. Still, I say this gently and no need for overwhelm. You can absolutely adapt your lifestyle to healthier habits. It doesn’t take a lot to reduce inflammation and it can even be enjoyable. Let’s begin with the morning. Ease into your day with one of these anti-inflammatory breakfast recipes…they’re delicious!
Why Is Reducing Inflammation Important?
Reducing chronic inflammation in your body is super important because it helps reduce both short term and long term symptoms. When left unchecked, inflammation contributes to body discomfort, stress on your organs, and even certain diseases like Alzheimer’s and cancer. Again, there IS good news too! Making some simple lifestyle changes will go a long way. Did you know that simply taking a routine evening walk can help reduce inflammation?
What Is An Anti-Inflammatory Diet?
An anti-inflammatory diet is a regimen specifically made for people looking to reduce their chronic inflammation. It kicks processed foods to the curb while welcoming more whole grains, heathy fats, fruits, vegetables, and spices. An anti-inflammatory diet is, therefore, very flavorful and nutritious! This is the main idea behind my 5-Day Anti-Inflammatory Diet Meal Plan (I really think the reason behind the plans success rate is that it tastes SO good)!
Anti-Inflammatory Kitchen Staples
Set yourself up for success by stocking up on anti-inflammatory kitchen staples (they’ll come in handy while preparing these anti-inflammatory breakfast recipes)! I’m sure you have some already, but if you don’t you can pick these up over time…
- Extra Virgin Cold Pressed Olive Oil: Cold-pressed oils retain more nutrients compared to those treated with heat. Olive oil is packed with healthy fat, vitamin E and K, and anti-inflammatory nutrients. Discover more healthy oils to cook with here.
- Organic Coconut Oil: Love love LOVE coconut oil. It suits all types of diets and has been shown to reduce oxidative stress and inflammation. It’s the star player in my 5-Ingredient Coconut Oil Pie Crust Recipe 😉
- Gluten Free Flours: Regular white flour can spike blood sugar and cause inflammation. For flour without inflammatory effects, try any of the following; Almond, coconut, brown rice, and buckwheat flour. Lean about them in this post: The 9 Best Healthy Flour Substitutes.
- Nut butter: Almond butter is a staple that you’ll always find in our home. It’s a good source of vitamin E which helps with inflammation and reduces the risk of heart disease.
What Breakfast Foods Causes Inflammation?
The top culprits of high inflammation breakfast foods are summarized in the following points…
- Pastries: Your favorite pan au chocolate is very high in refined carbohydrates and sugars…which not only spike your blood sugar but also induces an inflammatory response. We’re not about extreme limitation at A Sweet Pea Chef, so I suggest cutting a pastry in half and making it part of your breakfast, rather than the main event.
- Bacon and sausage: These morning proteins might help you with weight loss but could also be causing inflammation in your body. They’re high in saturated fats so eating this every day can be detrimental to your health in the long run. Remember that some brands are healthier than others! Keep the pros and cons in mind to make an informed decision best for you.
- Most waffles and pancakes: Another typical American breakfast that we don’t want to give up! I’d say, choose healthy pancakes and waffles made with flour substitutes, otherwise they’re jampacked with refined carbohydrates (which are linked with insulin resistance and high blood sugar levels.). Moderation and workarounds for the win!
- Instant/Blended Coffee: Instant coffee doesn’t seem harmful, right? Actually…it’s often packed with refined sugar which can trigger inflammation in your body. When you consume more sugar than your body can handle, it releases insulin which then attempts to store the surplus sugar in your fat cells.
What Are The Best Anti-Inflammatory Breakfast Recipes?
I’ve laid it out for y’all – here are some anti-inflammatory breakfast ideas that you can easily whip up!
1. High Protein Smoothies
- Serving: 1 smoothie
- Calories: 156 kcal
- A smoothie in the morning makes everything better! And all of the smoothie recipes in this post have plenty of fruit, sometimes veggies, no added sugar, and added protein to keep you full.
2. Chocolate Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
- Serving: 1 bowl
- Calories: 317 kcal
- Who says you can’t have chocolate for breakfast? This chocolate quinoa breakfast bowl is loaded with protein, fiber, and other nutrients to treat your body right and keep inflammation under control.
3. Perfect Avocado Toast
- Serving: 1 toast
- Calories: 323 kcal
- Did you know that your avocado toast is actually anti-inflammatory? The combination of monounsaturated fats, vitamin E, fiber and carotenoids can soothe inflammation. Adding eggs to your avo toast also helps because it contains selenium, which is an antioxidant that protects cells from damage caused by inflammation.
4. Strawberries and Cream Steel Cut Oats
- Serving: 1 bowl
- Calories: 385 kcal
- Nothing tastes better in the morning than a hot breakfast. Especially one that helps reduce inflammation all day long! Steel-cut oats are an excellent soluble fiber. They are especially helpful in promoting anti-inflammatory integrity in your digestive system.
5. Egg White Scramble + Sweet Potato Hash
- Serving: 5 meals
- Calories: 217 kcal per meal
- This healthy breakfast meal prep recipe contains egg white, which helps offset inflammation. Each serving contains potent carotenoids and vitamin D (which regulates rheumatoid arthritis).
Most of the time we’re all so busy with work, family, and business that we forget to get the nutrients our bodies need. We think that “any” food will do but that’s not true. If you’re a fan of structure and support when trying something new, check out this 5 Day Anti-Inflammatory Meal Plan. It covers anti-inflammatory breakfast recipes, as well as lunch and dinner!
*I created it to be as healthy, affordable, and anti-inflammatory as possible!
This post contains affiliate links for products I use regularly and highly recommend.
4 thoughts on “5 Anti-Inflammatory Breakfast Recipes”
IS THERE A SMOOTHIE RECEIPE THAT USES GINGER AND TUMERIC FOR ANTI INFLAMATORY
IS THERE AN ANTI INFLAMATORY SMOOTHIE THAT USES GINGER AND TUMERIC
Hello. I have RA and am looking for anti inflammatory diets. I have an allergy to nuts and having a hard time finding a substitute. I can not have almond milk. Can Flax Seed Milk be an alternative? Some other milks are high in calories.
Amazing, love your recipes!
Comments are closed.