This perfect avocado toast is packed with complex carbs, protein, healthy fat, and fiber. Make your clean-eating avocado toast just the way you like it with one of my suggested variations!
I admit. I was very much a minimalist when it came to avocado toast. Not that I had anything wrong with other versions – they just weren’t really my thing.
Avocado + Toast = Perfection.
Despite making and enjoying it for years, I’m somehow always in shock at how tasty and delicious it is. In fact, I think it’s quite possibly the best easy snack or breakfast ever. You’ve got your fiber, healthy fat, complex carbs, and protein all in a hand-held snack.
I mean a good avocado toast with thick, whole grain bread and a perfectly ripe avocado can really make your day, ya know?
It’s filling, creamy, crunchy, savory, and delicious. Plus, it FEELS healthy to eat. And it’s super easy. No need to be a kitchen whiz to make this fancy and yummy snack.
I would see so many amazing photos of sprouts, radishes, asparagus, and other fancy pants toppings and intricate avocado toast recipes on Instagram, but, I would be like, why mess with perfection?
But then, one day about six months ago, Dustin and I ordered avocado toast at Flower Child (<—FAVE) and fell in love — again — with avocado toast. And it wasn’t my usual. It had egg and cheese and sesame seeds.
And it was amazing.
So, I have now changed my go-to beloved “simple” avocado toast to this very luscious, creamy, and perfectly balanced avocado toast. It’s just perfect, friends. It’s everything you could ever want on a slice of bread.
And, if you don’t know how to make a soft boiled egg, don’t worry – it’s very easy as well and I explain how in the recipe and video below. Totally worth the few minutes it takes.
Read on so that you can learn to make this tasty dish yourself in all its amazingness. And – spoiler alert – I may have branched out just a little bit in the perfect-avocado-toast-world, and will share 5 awesome ways to vary this clean-eating delight.
BEST HEALTHY BREAD FOR PERFECT AVOCADO TOAST
While thick whole grain bread is ideal for perfect avocado toast, there are other breads that work, too. Depending on your tastes ‘cuz these all work, consider one of these yummy choices:
- Sourdough bread is tasty when brushed with oil and grilled
- Rye bread is nice and thin for those looking to cut calories
- Whole wheat bread is light and flavorful
- A homemade bagel is chewy and just right
- Crusty multigrain bread adds the perfect crunch when lightly toasted
- Gluten-free bread is an option for those who cannot have bread made with flour
HOW TO PICK YOUR AVOCADO FOR PERFECT AVOCADO TOAST
Hass avocados are my go-to choice for perfect avocado toast. I buy the avocados when the skin is green and hard to the touch. I let it ripen at home over a couple of days. Make sure the stem is still in the fruit as well!
Need to ripen an avocado quick? Been there! Just place the avocado in a paper bag with a banana and let it set overnight. The next morning, it’ll be perfectly ripe! But if you want a usable avocado for a recipe today, purchase one that is turning brown (with a bit of green still there) and one that gently gives in when pressed, but is not mushy.
HOW TO SOFT BOIL AN EGG FOR PERFECT AVOCADO TOAST
Boiling an egg to soft boiled perfection is easier than you think! Take these steps to get the best boiled egg for avocado toast.
- Bring to boil a few inches of water in a deep pan
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium-high and carefully put the egg into the water with a spoon
- For a runny soft boiled egg, it takes 6 minutes, or 7 if you want the yolk more set
- Carefully remove the egg from the water with a slotted spoon and put it in an ice bath for 2 minutes to stop the egg from cooking more
- Tap the flat end of the egg with a spoon and carefully slide the spoon around the egg, between the shell and the egg, to remove the shell
HOW TO MAKE PERFECT AVOCADO TOAST
The steps to making avocado toast satisfyingly yummy and filling are pretty simple. Be prepared to enjoy this dish for breakfast or any meal of the day where you want to have your fill of awesome fiber, energy-boosting protein, complex carbs and super healthy monounsaturated fat (the good kind!).
The simple tips I use to make good-for-the-heart avocado toast that is creamy and well, perfect, is to do it like this!
- Be sure to use top-quality avocados for scrumptious taste.
- I mash my avocado in a bowl first, before I toast the bread. If you are mashing enough for the whole family (yes, you do have to share your avocado toast!), use a potato masher rather than a fork.
- I like my avocado to be smooth and creamy, rather than chunky, so I mash until it almost like a purée.
- Toast your bread evenly and well, so that it stands up well against the creaminess of the topping.
- Spread your avocado on the toast of your choice, top with the boiled egg and enjoy!
5 DELICIOUS VARIATIONS FOR PERFECT AVOCADO TOAST
Now, I know it took me a while to move on from plain avocado toast to Perfect Avocado Toast with a soft boiled egg. I just love the flavorful goodness of sea salt and a soft boiled egg on top of the avocado. But I’m thrilled to say that I am expanding my avocado horizons even more these days because well, I just can’t get enough of this protein and healthy-fat-packed dish! Here are 5 more ways to savor this delectable fruit. Take a look!
- Bacon and Tomato Avocado Toast: Top the toast and avocado mash with crumbled cooked bacon (just a little bit!) and 2 slices of heirloom or beefsteak tomatoes.
- Vegan Avocado Toast: Top the slice of toast and avocado mixture with 1 tsp. of nutritional yeast, a pinch of sea salt, and a dash of garlic powder.
- Herb Topped Avocado Toast: Avocado goes well with many herbs. My favorite herbs to sprinkle on top of the toast and mixture are fresh cilantro, basil, parsley, or dill.
- Spicy Avocado Toast: Top your toast with a little spice! Simply drizzle your avocado toast with extra virgin olive oil and add red pepper flakes to taste.
- Decadent Avocado Toast: For a meal that will satisfy a craving, spread the avocado toast on the bread of your choice. Layer smoked salmon and chives on the toasted bread and top with black pepper.
MORE HEALTHY AVOCADO RECIPES
I love avocado so many ways, don’t you? Have avocado tonight, whether as a topping for salad, on the side, or even for dessert!
- Steak Cobb Salad With Creamy Avocado Cilantro Lime Dressing
- Easy No-Churn Avocado Ice Cream
- Easy Avocado Hummus
- Avocado, Turkey, and Hummus Wrap
- Healthy Spring Rolls
- Low Carb Turkey Burger Bowl With Sriracha Mayo
- 2 eggs
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- 1 large avocado
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp white cheddar cheese grated
- 1/8 tsp black sesame seeds
To soft boil the eggs, bring a few inches water to boil in a deep saucepan over high heat. Once the water has reached a rapid simmer, lower the heat to medium-high and slowly lower the eggs into the water using a spoon, one at a time.
Cook 6 minutes for a very runny yolk (cook one more minute if you’re wanting a more set yolk).
Remove the egg, carefully, with a slotted spoon and place directly into an ice bath (a large bowl filled with cold water and ice). Allow to set in the ice bath for 2 minutes to stop cooking.
To remove the peel, gently tap the bottom, flat end of the egg with a spoon, then carefully slide the spoon around the egg, in between the out layer of the egg and the inside of the peel to remove the entire peel.
Toast a thick slice of whole wheat bread until well-toasted, then set aside.
In a small bowl, mash an avocado until it’s mostly pureed, then spread it evenly over the top of the slice of toast.
Sprinkle the avocado spread with a little sea salt and ground black pepper.
Place the soft-boiled egg over the avocado spread and gently slice open, spreading to cover the entire toast.
Then, sprinkle with the shredded white cheese and some black sesame seeds.
This post contains affiliate links for products I use regularly and highly recommend.