This post has been updated to include new images and a recipe video.
The better at cooking I get, the more critical disappointed with restaurant food I become.
I guess it’s the lonely road of the foodie and is kind of an annoying Catch 22.[insert violin solo]
To me, there’s nothing worse than eating (and paying for!) a mediocre or, even worse, a bad meal I know I could have cooked better. Therefore, when I eat out, I like to order things I know I can’t cook as well at home.
For the longest time, I didn’t think my Chicken Parmesan was as good as what I would get at a restaurant. And, as I’ve mentioned before, I’m a big fan of Italian food, so we eat it out (and in) a lot.
I’m so glad I did.
Oh my goodness, not only is this recipe amazingly easy to make, it’s also ridiculously delicious. Like ridiculously (which is why I include it on my meal planning service, No-Fail Meals).
Plus, it is deceptively healthy–well, for chicken parmesan, that is. Yes, there is a good amount of cheese on it, but the breading is very light.
I like to brown the chicken in a skillet for some flavor and color before popping it in the oven to bake at 500 degrees. I know..crazy hot, right? But it does the trick!
This Chicken Parmesan is so delicious, especially with some linguine, spaghetti or (if wanting to go low-carb) zucchini noodles.
No more ordering Chicken Parmesan at restaurants!
Well…maybe sometimes (heehee). A girl’s gotta eat!
If you’re interested in seeing how easy this meal comes together, check out the video below. And stick around after the recipe for the bloopers!
- 2 chicken breasts halves boneless and skinless
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
- Combine the herbs, salt, pepper and breadcrumbs in a shallow dish to blend. Cover chicken breasts with mixture and shake off any excess.
- Heat olive oil in large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook just until brown, about 3 minutes per side. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Spoon the tomato sauce over and around the chicken. Sprinkle parmesan over each chicken breast. Cover each chicken breast with mozzarella slices.
- Bake, covered with foil, for 10 minutes, and then uncovered for 5 minutes, until the cheese melts and the chicken is cooked through.
I've got your dinners covered this week
- Get my FREE 5-Day Meal Plan plus...
- Organized grocery list to save time and money
- Helpful cooking tips and tricks
- Free videos on forming better cooking skills
- Kitchen conversion and substitution charts