This post was last updated on July 30, 2014 to include new images and a recipe video.
I have had it up to *here* with store-bought tortillas.
Now, usually, homemade anything is better than store-bought. Agreed?
But, is it better?
Not for me.
The same goes for homemade tortillas. Yes, they require a little bit of work and make a little mess, but they are so ridiculously good — you won’t even care.
Go ahead. Try them out once.
I’m betting, once you bite into your first hot, homemade, melt-in-your-mouth flour tortilla, you won’t be sorry. Or the second.
Or the third.
Watch me make this recipe!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup bread flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup lard plus 1-2 tbsp. or vegetable shortening, as needed
- 1 cup hot water
- In a large mixing bowl, combine both types of flour, baking powder and salt.
- Drop 1/2 cup lard by the spoonfuls into flour mixture and, using a pastry cutter, your fingers or a fork, cut lard until it crumbles and is evenly dispersed in the flour. Slowly add the hot water and stir together until mixture sticks to itself. If not quite moist, add 1-2 more tbsp. lard, as needed.
- Knead, in the mixing bowl, for 3-5 minutes or until dough forms a ball and becomes less sticky. Cover bowl with tea towel and let rest for 1 hour.
- Break the dough into 14-16 smaller pieces and roll the pieces into balls. Cover balls of dough for an additional 30 minutes.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Using a well-floured rolling pin, roll one dough ball at a time into a thin, round tortilla. Make sure the ball is rolled out to be very, very thin. Carefully place onto the hot skillet and cook until bubbly and golden, about 30-40 seconds. Flip the tortilla over and continue cooking until golden on the other side.
- Wrap the cooked tortilla in a clean tea towel until ready to eat. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Serve immediately or, once completely cool, store in an air-tight bag or container. To warm, wrap in damp paper towel and microwave for 20-30 seconds or wrap in foil and warm in oven.
I've got your dinners covered this week
- Get my FREE 5-Day Meal Plan plus...
- Organized grocery list to save time and money
- Helpful cooking tips and tricks
- Free videos on forming better cooking skills
- Kitchen conversion and substitution charts