Next time you feel like ordering takeout because you just cant fight that takeout craving any longer, try prepping these easy and delicious healthy takeout recipes for the week and enjoy them as part of your awesome healthy lifestyle!
I think everybody has a favorite Chinese takeout recipe or a favorite restaurant recipe. Because, let’s be honest here, Chinese dishes and restaurant dinners are amazing – full of flavor, texture, and deliciousness. Are they healthy though? Well, most of the time, restaurant recipes aren’t very healthy. Sure, you can find healthy takeout options. But, usually, those options are not for the dishes you love and crave.
If you find yourself craving restaurant dishes that are not healthy and good for you, I have a great and simple solution – copycat recipes from restaurants. Healthy ones, of course. The taste is pretty much the same, if not better. And, in this way, you have control over the ingredients used in the dishes. You can also change the cooking methods to make sure your meals are always healthy. It’s also less expensive than takeout or eating out.
I won’t take it personally if you’re not yet convinced that making restaurant dishes at home is the way to go. I do, however, have 3 copycat restaurant recipes that I’m sure will make you get on board.
You can choose between Beef with Broccoli, Orange Chicken, and Chicken Cauliflower Fried Rice.
Spoiler alert – these meals are finger-licking good! And, not gonna lie, kinda addictive, too.
You can still enjoy your favorite restaurant dishes on cheat days but, with these restaurant recipes, you don’t have to wait until your cheat days. Also, these copycat recipes from restaurants are perfect for meal prep. If you don’t know how to meal prep, I have a few tips that will help you get started.
WHY IT’S HARD TO FIND HEALTHY TAKEOUT OPTIONS
I know it’s really hard to find healthy takeout options. Most restaurant dishes are high in calories but, even when they aren’t, there are other problems that are hard to avoid.
- For example, your favorite Chinese takeout recipe probably involves deep frying. I don’t think I have to tell you why this is not good for you. So much fat and so many empty calories. Sad, right?
- Restaurant dishes are also high in sodium so, even when you find options that seem fine calorie-wise, they are probably not very healthy after all.
- Believe it or not, most restaurant recipes require sugar and, while you can skip the sugar if you’re making copycat restaurant recipes at home. If you opt for takeout, the high sugar content is hard to avoid.
All these problems are easy to avoid if you make your favorite restaurant dishes at home. So let’s get started with some tips and recommendations.
HOW TO MAKE YOUR FAVORITE RESTAURANT DISHES HEALTHY AT HOME
To make restaurant dishes at home, you have to start with finding healthy alternatives for the ingredients used in restaurant dinners. Also, healthier cooking methods. Doesn’t sound too complicated, am I right?
For the copycat restaurant recipes I made healthy, I…
- cooked the ingredients in a little bit of olive oil instead of deep-frying them;
- used coconut sugar instead of brown sugar;
- used low sodium soy sauce instead of regular soy sauce;
- used cauliflower fried rice instead of regular rice in the chicken cauliflower fried rice dish.
See? It’s not hard at all! And, instead of struggling to find healthy takeout options, I made all these restaurants recipes at home. Amazeballs!
BENEFITS OF CAULIFLOWER RICE
One of my copycat restaurant recipes is Chicken Cauliflower Fried Rice. This is truly a better than takeout fried rice recipe. The taste is so good. But cauliflower fried rice provides many health benefits as well. Cauliflower fried rice …
- is high in fibers;
- is high in antioxidants;
- is a great low-carb alternative to rice and it helps with weight loss;
- contains minerals including potassium, manganese, magnesium, and phosphorus;
- rich in vitamins including vitamin C, vitamin K, and B6 and B9 vitamins.
Learn how to rice cauliflower from here.
MAKING HEALTHY BEEF AND BROCCOLI
Out of all the restaurant recipes you can make at home, the beef and broccoli recipe is probably the easiest one. It’s also very quick. Only 20 minutes and dinner is served. The taste though? Incredible. For realz!
This healthy meal prep involves a few simple steps:
- cook the beef;
- cook the broccoli;
- make the sauce;
- combine the beef, broccoli, and sauce;
For more details and tips, check out the Healthy Beef And Broccoli post.
1. Beef With Broccoli
2. Orange Chicken
3. Chicken Cauliflower Fried Rice
HOW TO MEAL PREP WITH RESTAURANT RECIPES
Once you manage to learn how to make copycat recipes from restaurants healthy, healthy meal prep is super easy. Here are the steps that you need to follow:
- divide the healthy meal prep into portions;
- transfer them to meal prep containers;
- store in the fridge;
- when you’re ready to eat, reheat and enjoy!
Easy-peasy, am I right?
MEAL PREP CONTAINERS FOR TAKEOUT RESTAURANT DINNERS
Whether you’re making restaurant dishes at home or other meal prep recipes, you need meal prep containers to store the dishes properly.
For meal prep containers, you have a few options:
- plastic meal prep containers – they are cheap and you can safely store your homemade recipes in them.
- glass meal prep containers – I have these. They are a bit more expensive than the plastic ones but durable and eco-friendly.
- another option you have for storing easy meal prep is Ziploc bags. Ziploc bags can be found at every grocery store. They are convenient but, for a full meal, you’ll have to store the ingredients separately (protein in one bag, side dish in another) to prevent changes in texture and flavor.
3 HEALTHY MEAL PREP RECIPES
There’s no secret I love meal prep and delicious food. Delicious food that is, of course, healthy. I also truly believe sharing is caring so I have 3 more healthy and yummy meal prep recipes that will make your life easier.
FALL MEAL PREP ON THE GRILL
I really love fresh, seasonal ingredients, however, this Fall Meal Prep on the Grill happens year round in my house. I can’t resist. The flavors of this easy meal prep are that good.
For this easy meal prep, we have Brussel sprouts, butternut squash, sweet potatoes, and grilled chicken. Sounds yummy, right? Get the recipe.
HOW TO MEAL PREP: SALISBURY STEAK RECIPE
Put your meal prep containers to good use by learning How To Meal Prep Salisbury Steak. Healthy Salisbury Steak.
For a full meal, I paired the Salisbury Steak with potatoes and peas. Oh, the flavors are so amazing. Get the recipe.
HOW TO MEAL PREP | HONEY GARLIC SHRIMP MEAL PREP (UNDER 350 CALORIES!)
For a super quick and healthy meal, learn How To Meal Prep Honey Garlic Shrimp Meal Prep (Under 350 Calories!).
The Honey Garlic Shrimp Meal Prep is paired with Instant Pot Brown Rice and Lemon Snap Peas for a perfect weeknight dinner that can be made ahead. Get the recipe.
This post contains affiliate links for products I use often and highly recommend.