This post was last updated on December 26, 2014 to include new images and a recipe video.
I hope you all had an absolutely wonderful holiday filled with family, friends, good times and great food.
Without fail, I find I am so sad when the summer comes to an end because I think it is my favorite time of year.
But, as the leaves begin to change, the weather starts to cool and I hear those familiar holiday tunes, I realize just how much I love the winter holiday season. I love the food, the time with family and the general hustle and bustle of life as it gets closer and closer to Christmas. I mean…who doesn’t get the urge to tap their feet to Jingle Bells, right?
One way I love to celebrate the holiday season is to break out my easy hot apple cider recipe and share it with my family. I just love the smell of the cinnamon, oranges, cloves, and apples simmering away on the stove. It’s truly better than any candle you could buy.
I also enjoy the excited look on Dustin’s face as I hand him a steaming mug of hot apple cider. Though, I always have to tell him it’s too hot to drink right away cuz we both know he’s gonna go for it if I don’t tell him.
This hot apple cider is really simple to make and tastes so yummy. It will warm your soul. Well, maybe that’s going a little far, but it will definitely hit the spot.
Anyways, I hope you try out this easy hot apple cider recipe. It’s quick and delicious and will make your house smell like Christmas. Winner!
Easy Hot Apple Cider Recipe
- 2 quarts 100% apple juice
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 apple, unpeeled and cut in half
- 1 small naval orange, unpeeled and sliced into ¼-inch slices
- 2 tsp. whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- ½ tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ tsp. allspice
- Carefully insert the whole cloves into the apple on both the flesh and skin sides (see picture above).
- Heat apple juice over medium heat in a large pot or dutch oven.
- Once heated, add the brown sugar and stir to dissolve.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a simmer and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Promptly remove the apple halves, orange slices, cinnamon sticks and any clove remnants from the pot.
- Serve hot.
Take control of your food
Get my FREE guide on How To Start Eating Clean!