This post was last updated on February 14, 2015 to include new images.
For those of you who don’t know what tri-tip is, Tri-Tip is pure and simple tasty goodness.
To be honest, I was actually scared to move to Texas, in part, because I thought I’d be giving up my beloved California tri-tip.
I was a pleasantly surprised to see tri-tip at my local grocery store when we first moved. So, either California has its residents fooled into thinking tri-tip is a “California thing,” or Texas is now in on the secret as well. Do you have tri-tip in your area?
Tri-Tip is kinda like a combination between a roast and a steak and is amazing when grilled or shredded — which usually means it’s marinated, BBQ’d and then served between two slices of fresh garlic bread as a sandwich. Mmm.
Even though we usually grill it and serve it over a salad or on a sandwich, I thought I’d try something different this time.
I felt like some tacos.
Some crock pot shredded beef tacos, actually.
This recipe works great in a crock pot or in the oven (and I’ve included instructions for both!).
If you don’t have tri-tip in your area, this recipe will also work with a beef roast.
In a hurry in the morning? Just add all the ingredients to a large Ziploc bag the night before and then empty it into the crock pot before you leave for work. You’ll come home for some delicious shredded beef tacos after work 🙂
- 2 1/2 lbs . tri-tip roast
- 1 1/2 tsp . ground cumin
- 1 tsp . kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp . ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp . garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp . paprika
- 1/8 tsp . ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp . cayenne pepper
- 1 can diced tomatoes 14 1/2 oz.
- 1 can tomato sauce 8 oz.
- 1 can mild green chilies 4 oz.
- 1/2 large white onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves smashed
- 2 tbsp . Worcestershire sauce
- 8-10 good quality corn or flour tortillas I use Guerrero brand
- optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese diced fresh tomatoes, dollop sour cream, lettuce, salsa, lime wedges
- Place the tri-tip in the crock pot (or in a Dutch oven if not using a crock pot).
- Cover roast with the seasoning (cumin, salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, ground ginger, and cayenne) diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chillies, onion, garlic and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cover and turn heat to Low on crock pot and cook for 8-9 hours, or until beef is tender and breaks away with fork. (If using oven, place into oven for 2-3 hours at 375 degrees).
- Remove from crock pot and place tri-tip on cutting board. Discard the smashed garlic. Leave remaining juices, tomatoes, chillies and onion in pot.
- Using two forks, shred the tri-tip by holding one fork steady with one hand and slowly scraping the other fork, prongs faced backwards, with your other hand away from the other fork. Transfer the shredded tri-tip to a large bowl and add the reserved cooked juices from the pot. Stir to combine.
- Heat a flat skillet or griddle over medium high heat. Add a tortilla to the pan and let the tortilla heat until it develops little bubbles. Remove from the heat (without burning your fingers!). Place desired amount of shredded tri-tip onto tortilla, followed by desired toppings (listed above in ingredients list).
I've got your dinners covered this week
- Get my FREE 5-Day Meal Plan plus...
- Organized grocery list to save time and money
- Helpful cooking tips and tricks
- Free videos on forming better cooking skills
- Kitchen conversion and substitution charts