I love peanut butter.
My 2-and-a-half-year-old loves peanut butter.
I like Chocolate Banana Peanut Butter Protein Shakes for breakfast on the weekdays.
My 2-and-a-half-year-old loves Chocolate Banana Peanut Butter Protein Shakes for breakfast on the weekdays.
You can imagine we go through quite a lot of peanut butter. And bananas. And shakes.
So, as the organic creamy peanut butter bills piled up (and up and up!), I decided to make my own peanut butter.
My own Honey Roasted Peanut Butter.
And it was good! And it was cheap!
This recipe is so easy. You may never need to buy peanut butter from the store again. Gasp!
For you peanut butter lovers out there (and your peanut-butter-loving-kids), this is for you.
PLUS, check out this video to see how super easy it is to make some homemade peanut butter for yourself at home.
- 12 oz. raw Spanish peanuts, unsalted
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1-2 tbsp. vegetable, coconut or peanut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking tray with aluminum foil or parchment paper and set aside.
- If you prefer, you can remove the skin on the peanuts (this will make for a more smooth final texture).
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine peanuts with salt and honey. Using a spoon, mix well so that all peanuts are evenly coated. Lay peanuts out evenly and in one layer over the baking tray. Roast for 15-20 minutes, or until well-browned and dark, but not burnt. Half-way though, toss peanuts using a spatula for even roasting. Remove from oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Add peanuts to a food processor and turn on for 1 minute. Remove the lid and press the peanuts back down along the sides using a spatula. Replace the lid and turn food processor back on for an additional two minutes. Repeat with spatula if needed. The consistency of the peanuts will change, don't worry. After two minutes, slowly drizzle 1-2 tbsp. oil into the food processor while it is running. Process until smooth, about 1-2 more minutes.
- Adjust flavor as desired by adding more salt, honey or even a pinch of cinnamon.
- *If you prefer a quicker method, skip the roasting and buy a pack of honey-roasted peanuts instead.
- Place in an air-tight container and refrigerate for up to 2 months.