When Jordan was an itty bitty baby, she really didn’t enjoy falling asleep in her crib.
It was bad.
This led (read: forced) Dustin and me to go on nightly drives to get her fall asleep so we could transfer her back into her crib…and, honestly, to avoid all the crying, screaming, and complaining.
Okay, from me, too.
Over time, Dustin and I actually grew to love these nightly escapades – we had an opportunity to discuss the events of the day, this crazy new blog, called A Sweet Pea Chef, I was starting (hee!), fun pipe dreams, and life.
We also found a perfectly located Starbucks that was located along the Freeway in San Diego right after Jordan would usually fall asleep. So, once she fell asleep, we’d stop and grab a coffee for our drive.
It was our thing.
It was on those drives and at that Starbucks that we fell in love with Dark Chocolate Cherry Lattes (this was totally before my clean eating days, folks).
And, thus, began our infatuation with chocolate and cherries.
After that winter, though, Starbucks stopped selling their Dark Chocolate Cherry Mocha and we’ve yet to see it again.
It’s been 6 years.
Jordan is 7 now!
We figured it was probably time to move on. I mean, really, what we really loved was the combination of chocolate and cherries.
Well, since I’ve been playing around with energy bite recipes lately, trying to make fun and new ways to eat clean, high energy snacks, Dustin suggested I try to make a dark chocolate cherry energy bites recipe.
Let’s go over some energy bite awesomeness:
- You can control the ingredients that go into your energy ball or bite or bar
- They take about 10 minutes to make and last over a week in the fridge
- They are super flavorful and handy to grab
- You can create any flavor combination you want
- They’re totally an awesome snack that’s raw, vegan, gluten-free, clean, and super yummers
- chocolate + cherries = <3
Finally! Dustin and I have a new way to reminisce when Jordan would never sleep and we embarked on this crazy business of ours.
And, we get to enjoy the amazing combination of chocolate and cherry with these dark chocolate cherry energy bites.
Now, it’s your turn!
Dark Chocolate Cherry Energy Bites
- 1 cup raw almonds
- ½ cup dark chocolate morsels
- ½ cup dried cherries
- 2 cups dates, pitted
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp. sea salt
- Add the almonds to the food processor and blend until chopped, but not all the way to a flour.
- Add in the dried cherries, dark chocolate morsels, pitted dates, ground cinnamon, and sea salt.
- Process until an even texture. (If you like there to be chunks of chocolate or cherries, you can stop a little sooner before everything is evenly processed - it’s up to you.)
- Carefully grab a small handful and roll into about 1-inch balls - the mixture will stick to itself pretty easily. You should be able to make about 12-15 energy bites.
- Place the energy bites into the fridge for about 15 minutes to set. These energy balls will keep fresh in an air-tight container for up to a week or you could freeze for longer.
I've got your dinners covered this week
- Get my FREE 5-Day Meal Plan plus...
- Organized grocery list to save time and money
- Helpful cooking tips and tricks
- Free videos on forming better cooking skills
- Kitchen conversion and substitution charts