So I’m just gonna come out and say I’m a big fan of oatmeal and, really, all things in the “hot breakfast” category in the morning.
Oh! And strawberries and cream. Because duh!
Yes, I love my protein shakes when I’m on the run on those busy weekday mornings…
But, there’s something so special and fulfilling about having a hot breakfast with your family, ya know?
Awww…are you getting those feels? 🙂
Hot breakfasts are one of my most treasured memories from my childhood.
On Sunday mornings, I usually could count on my mom making us some oatmeal, cream of wheat, pancakes, or eggs.
And I looked forward to it every week.
And the strawberries in California were so amazing. Mmm…
Nowadays, I usually wind up making breakfast for dinner in order to get those same meals into our routine because, sigh, mornings are often super busy, even on the weekends.
And, let’s be honest, here…breakfast for dinner is pretty awesome and in a class all by itself anyways. So it’s a win-win.
These strawberries and cream steel cut oats are something special, y’all. They combine like all of my favorite things.
If you’ve never tried steel cut oats, I highly recommend you check them out. They’re so good and this 7 ingredient strawberries and cream steel cut oats recipe is a great way to start!
Steel cut oats are similar to rolled oats, but are are less processed which makes them a bit more chewy (read: awesome, yummy texture!) than rolled oats. Think of steel cut oats as oatmeal before it gets rolled and then – poof – that’s steel cut oats.
They’re also slightly lower in calories and are lower on the glycemic index as compared to rolled oats, but otherwise they’re nutritionally equal, which means you’re getting quality protein, fiber, and other goodness…along with your tasty hot breakfast, of course.
Oh, and the strawberries and the cream and the yumminess. And those feels.
Strawberries And Cream Steel Cut Oats
- 3 cups almond milk
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk canned
- 1 1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill Steel Cut Oats
- 2 cups fresh strawberries divided
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract divided
- Combine almond milk with coconut milk in a large, deep pot and bring to an almost boil. (Stir this mixture occasionally to keep the milk from forming a film or burning.)
- Add the steel cut oats and cook, stirring frequently, for 20-25 minutes, until the steel cut oats have pretty much absorbed all the liquid.
- Remove from the heat, add 1 cup sliced strawberries and 1 tsp. vanilla extract, and let sit for 2 minutes. While it sits, it will thicken even more.
- For the tasty syrup, heat pure maple syrup and remaining 1 cup fresh strawberries, sliced, over medium-high heat until heated through, about 3-5 minutes.
- Combine the plain greek yogurt with remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla extract in a small mixing bowl.
- To serves, place a dollop of the tasty yogurt cream over the strawberries and cream oats and drizzle with the warm strawberry maple syrup.
I've got your dinners covered this week
- Get my FREE 5-Day Meal Plan plus...
- Organized grocery list to save time and money
- Helpful cooking tips and tricks
- Free videos on forming better cooking skills
- Kitchen conversion and substitution charts