So, remember how I wanted to start a Pizza and Wine Bar?
Well…I still do…but, as usual, I have changed my mind. A little. Again.
My new hope and dream is to start a diner.
Not a greasy, old 50’s style diner. A modern American diner.
Dustin and I have always thought about how cool it would be to serve diner-style food but in our own way.
Check! This hoagie roll recipe is super tasty. The rolls come out chewy, yet soft, and with just the right flavor.
Don’t worry: the pizza and wine bar can go on our winery when we create our vineyard. Some day.
For now, I’m happy I can cook roast beef and these hoagie rolls so I can make some tasty French Dips!
- 1½ tsp. (about ¼ oz) active dry yeast
- 1½ cups warm water, divided
- 2 tsp.. sugar, divided
- 2 tbsp. olive or vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 cups bread flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a small mixing bowl, add yeast to ¼ cup water. Sprinkle 1 tsp. sugar over the mixture and let sit for 5 minutes, or until frothy/foamy. Add remaining 1¼ cups water and 1 tsp. sugar. Add oil and stir to combine.
- Combine salt and flours in a medium mixing bowl. Using a stand mixer, or by hand, add the wet mixture to the dry mixture. Beat until smooth on medium speed. If dough is too wet, add a little more dough to make the dough soft.
- On a lightly floured surface (or in the mixer bowl with bread hook), knead dough until smooth and elastic, about 5-6 minutes.
- Lightly grease a large bowl with a bit of oil and place dough into bowl, turning once to coat. Cover with dish towel and let rise for 45 minutes, or until doubled in size.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set oven to 400 degrees.
- Punch down dough and, on a lightly floured surface, divide into 8 balls. Shape each ball into a long oval, roughly the size of the hoagie roll you wish to make. Arrange long ovals on parchment paper about 2 inches apart. Slice a ¼-inch deep slit across the top of each piece. Cover again and let rise an additional 25 minutes.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack.
Take control of your food
Get my FREE guide on How To Start Eating Clean!