This easy chicken marsala is wonderfully simple and tasty.
It gets a subtle sweetness from the Marsala wine, but it’s still quite savory and delicious. I’m always amazed at just how flavorful the simple ingredients are and how quickly this meal comes together.
And what’s not to love about a delicious, seasoned, and well-browned chicken breast smothered in savory juices along with yellow onions and sliced mushrooms?
You’ll get no complaints from me on that. Nope. None.
This is a recipe I have used in my meal planning service, No-Fail Meals, because it’s a no-fail dinner that’s easy, healthy, and super delicious any night of the week.
I recommend using the sweet marsala wine for this easy chicken marsala recipe, though dry would also work. You could also use sherry in a pinch. For some reason, I always seem to have a little bit of sherry in my cabinet, but not marsala. Hmm…weird.
Or, if you’re looking to cook this without any alcohol, you could substitute with more chicken broth. You won’t get quite the same depth of flavor or sweetness from the chicken broth, but it will still be pretty darn tasty.
The flavor really comes from seasoning the chicken well and making sure to brown it very well. You don’t want to overcook or burn it, but you do want to pay attention to making sure the outside is nice and golden-brown to get the most flavor in the chicken and the marsala sauce.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup all-purpose flour (can substitute chickpea or almond flour for clean diets)
- 2 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- ¼ cup olive oil, plus more as needed
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 25 cremini mushrooms, sliced into thick slices
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup Marsala wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Place the chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap or parchment paper and pound evenly using a mallet of rolling pin until approximately approximately ¼-inch thick. Once flattened, season both sides with the kosher salt and ground black pepper.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, salt, pepper and dried herbs.
- Heat the oil on medium-high in a large skillet. Dredge the chicken in the seasoned flour, shaking off the excess.
- Fry the chicken for approximately 4-6 minutes on each side until golden, turning once and repeating with other side. Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Add the onion to the drippings in the pan and sauté until sweating, about 5 minutes. Next, add the mushrooms and garlic and sauté until the mushrooms are nicely browned and the moisture has evaporated, about 6-8 minutes.
- Pour the Marsala wine in the pan and bring to a boil.
- Cook until the liquid has reduced, approximately 6-8 minutes. Add the chicken stock and simmer for 5 minutes, allowing the liquid to reduce again.
- Return the chicken to the pan, cooking 2-3 more minutes while the chicken heats through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, if necessary.
I've got your dinners covered this week
- Get my FREE 5-Day Meal Plan plus...
- Organized grocery list to save time and money
- Helpful cooking tips and tricks
- Free videos on forming better cooking skills
- Kitchen conversion and substitution charts