Today, for the 4th of July, I’d like to share a recipe Dustin and I always enjoy: Meatloaf!
I know, I know…it sounds kind of boring…at first. But, this meatloaf is hearty, easy and oh so delicious. Once you’ve tried it, you’ll be craving it all the time. Trust me.
You may notice some similarities between this Meatloaf recipe and my Italian Meatballs recipe I’ve posted on the blog. Though the ingredients are quite similar, the preparation and sauce for the meatloaf leave it tasting completely different.
I think the flavor combination of the parmesan, fresh parsley, breadcrumbs and Worcestershire sauce in the meatloaf is just divine. Plus, the tangy, but sweet, glaze complements the meatloaf perfectly. Yum!
We like to have this meatloaf with some Garlic Parmesan Green Beans and cottage fries. Oh my goodness, so tasty.
This is definitely a meal that will leave you completely satisfied.
If you subscribe to my newsletter,
you are totally awesome! you probably read last week that Dustin and I started a new high protein, low carbohydrate diet to lose some baby fat. So, this time, I tried making a Gluten-Free Meatloaf by omitting the breadcrumbs.
I also left out the parmesan. Sniff. The result was pretty good — not as good as the original as the breadcrumbs really hold it together well and absorb the moisture, but still tasty.
*Also, if you think you’re going crazy because you swear you already saw this recipe before, you probably did way back when in one of my first newsletters. I wanted to re-share it with the new gluten-free modifications.
- For the meatloaf:
- 1 lb. 85/15 ground beef
- 1 cup unseasoned dry bread crumbs (omit if going gluten-free)
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (omit if going dairy-free)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 egg, beaten (add additional egg if going gluten-free)
- ¾ cup warm water (don't add water if going gluten-free)
- For the glaze:
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- 2½ tsp. brown sugar
- 1½ tsp. dry mustard
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Place the ground beef, bread crumbs, parsley, parmesan, salt, pepper, nutmeg, egg, and ¾ cup warm water in a bowl. Combine very lightly with a fork.
- Transfer mixture to a 9-inch X 5-inch loaf pan.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together the ketchup, dry mustard and brown sugar for the glaze. Pour the glaze over meatloaf and spread evenly.
- Bake until meatloaf reaches 160 degrees on an instant read thermometer, about 1 hour. Let rest 5 minutes before slicing.