Because meal plans + slow cookers = one easy peasy and delicious week of food!
So, I went to work testing out tons of slow cooker recipes. Heck, I even bought an extra slow cooker to test twice as much.
That’s called commitment, people!
And, yes, that also means double the tasty food which is a nice reward for all my hard work. It’s so hard 😉
Well, it just so happened on day I was craving some Chinese food. AND I needed to test an easy slow cooker recipe.
That’s right: Put your hands together!
And that, my friends, is how this slow cooker cashew chicken came to be.
Truth: this cashew chicken is amazeballs good.
(On a random side note, I find it funny that my spellchecker has learned the word “amazeballs” – do I say that a lot?)
Since testing this recipe and sharing it on No-Fail Meals, it now gets requested often by its members as well as my family.
It’s one of those amazingly simple recipes that get you all excited about when they’re in the slow cooker because you know the delicious smell it’s giving off isn’t even a tenth of how delicious your meal will be in just a few short hours.
Super simple. Super easy. High protein. Flavorful. Yep: amazeballs.
Apparently I need to stop using this word? Jury’s still out.
Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken
If you’d prefer, you can substitute boneless, skinless chicken thighs for this recipe (I’ve done it several times) instead of bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs. I find I like the flavor a tad better with skin-on and bone-in, though I do remove the skin when I eat it to lessen the fat content and because the chicken already has so much flavor anyways.
This recipe also doubles well, in case you’d rather not use two crock pots! 😉
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2½ lbs. chicken thighs, bone-in & skin-on
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. chili paste
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger, minced
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 4 green onions, sliced (for garnish)
- cooked brown rice, optional for serving
- Heat a fry pan over high heat and add the oil.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add to the hot pan. Cook until well-browned, about 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer browned chicken to the bowl of a slow cooker.
- Combine the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, chili paste, honey, garlic, ginger, and cashews in a small bowl and pour over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on Low for 3 to 4 hours. Top with sliced green onions.
- Serve over steamed brown rice, if desired.
I've got your dinners covered this week
- Get my FREE 5-Day Meal Plan plus...
- Organized grocery list to save time and money
- Helpful cooking tips and tricks
- Free videos on forming better cooking skills
- Kitchen conversion and substitution charts