Okay. Sometimes, failures can be a good thing.
Go with me on this one…
Like with these Chocolate, Cherry and Oatmeal Bars. Let me explain.
I originally set out to make granola bars with these ingredients. As you can see, these are not granola bars. *Sniff*
However, they turned out to be quite tasty nonetheless.
These bars are thicker and a bit chewier than your average granola bar. Consider them a non-granola bar if you’d like. Or not.
Despite my failure at making a granola bar recipe, we all still thought these bars were delicious.
They were incredibly easy to make and would make a great snack or dessert. Or, try cutting them into bite-size pieces and bringing them to your next potluck. I hope you enjoy them!
Also, if you don’t happen like the dried cherries, chocolate or almonds I added, just substitute what sounds best to you into the recipe. I think I may try toasted coconut flakes and dark chocolate next time. Yum!
- 3 1/2 cups rolled oats quick cooking oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp . baking soda
- 1/4 tsp . ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup honey divided
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup dried cherries chopped
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine oats, flour, baking soda, cinnamon and brown sugar and stir to combine. Add 1/2 cup honey, vanilla extract and butter and incorporate into dry mixture. Add remaining 1/4 cup honey. Add the sliced almonds, dried cherries and chocolate morsels and stir to incorporate.
- Line a 8-inch x 8-inch baking dish with parchment paper. Add mixture into prepared pan and firmly press into pan, using your hand or flat knife. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown on top. Let cool completely on cooling rack. Once cooled, cut into bars or bite-size pieces.