Ever hear of a banana date shake? If not, you are in for a treat! This 10-minute recipe does a lot with just four ingredients. Insanely healthy and filling…this post shares how to make it!
Creamy, smooth, and clean, this banana date shake is a pleasant surprise, especially if you’re trying it for the first time. Which you should do, soon. It only takes 10 minutes to make!
If you’ve tried my banana protein shake, this one tastes similar but with a little more natural sweetness from the dates. We love natural sweeteners around here!
Ready for some nostalgia? This recipe brings me back to Palm Dessert as a kid — we always stopped to get date shakes as a family. An unspoken rule.
As an adult, Dustin and I made sure to get our banana date shake fix whenever time would allow. It was a two-hour drive from San Diego to Palm Springs…but a shake this good is worth the trip!
We now live in Dallas, Texas — which is too far.
So this recipe is how we keep the beautiful Palm Dessert fresh in our memories, specifically for Jordan who will not remember visiting.
I would like to present you: Lacey’s Banana Date Shake. I hope you get to enjoy it as much as we do.
What Is In This Banana Date Shake?
This incredibly simple banana date shake recipe has only 4 ingredients that are easy to find.
Here’s all you need:
- Unsweetened almond milk: This makes it vegan-friendly and compatible if you’re avoiding dairy. Other than that, almond milk adds a nice flavor to it (and you can also use your milk of choice).
- Large Medjool dates (pitted and chopped): Dates are having a moment lately, and rightfully so. They’re an excellent source of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants! They’re also rich in fiber which is great for your heart and digestion.
- Large frozen bananas: Using frozen bananas provides a nice, creamy texture. Very ice-cream esque if you ask me. You will find this in pure form in my chocolate banana nice cream recipe.
- Grated nutmeg (optional): Again, optional but highly recommended. A nice sprinkle brings about some real flavor magic. It adds a dash of fancy (and not to mention a boost of anti-inflammatory benefits).
Which Is Healthier; Banana Or Dates?
Both dates and bananas are very healthy. They are whole, nutrient-rich foods you should consider adding to your diet.
While it’s hard to generally say which is healthier, it will ultimately depend on what nutritional benefits you need the most. For example, dates are great to eat before a run because they’re light and provide enough energy carbs (and potassium to prevent cramps).
Here are their nutritional benefits in comparison:
- Potassium: Dates contain 94% more potassium than bananas although bananas are also a great source.
- Vitamin C: Bananas have significantly more Vitamin C than dates.
- Dietary fiber: Both dates and bananas are high in fiber.Just like these other 21 Top Foods High in Fiber.
- Antioxidants: Dates contain more beta-carotene than bananas but bananas have more alpha-carotene than dates.
- Calcium: Dates have 11 times more calcium than bananas!
- Calories: Bananas have fewer calories than dates.
Can I Drink This Shake Every Day?
Yes, you can drink this banana date shake every day because it’s healthy! You’re getting a great boost of nutritional fiber, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. The bananas will also help keep you full.
But don’t do what I do and drink something on repeat until it gets boring and I forget about it for years!
I would recommend switching it up a bit with other shake recipes on my blog (like this strawberry protein shake or this oatmeal raisin cookie protein shake). This also adds good nutritional variety to your daily drinks.
Is This Banana Date Shake Good For Weight Loss?
Yes, this shake can be excellent for weight loss! Both bates and bananas are high in nutritional fiber and protein which will help keep you fuller (longer) and boost your metabolism.
The high protein content from dates can also help you with lean muscle mass (which also promotes weight loss).
Overall, this banana date shake makes for a nutritionally dense, low-calorie snack or meal replacement! Each serving only contains 289 calories.
How Should I Freeze Bananas For Smoothies/ Shakes?
Good question. Freezing your bananas is a great way to avoid throwing out overripe ones. Save yourself some trouble by freezing them in slices.
Follow these 3 easy steps to properly freeze your bananas for smoothies or shakes:
- Peel the bananas and slice them to into half an inch pieces
- Place the slices on top of a layer of parchment paper on a baking pan.
- Store your baking pan with the slices in the freezer for around 2 hours. This is called a flash-freeze.
- Transfer the frozen slices into an airtight container.
There you have it! Sliced frozen bananas that are good to go for your next drink. They can last in your container for up to 3 months if stored properly in the freezer.
For more tips on proper banana storage and freezing techniques, check out this post.
More Healthy Shake Recipes
If you love making shakes as much as I do, then you’re gonna love these recipes too!
- Blueberry Protein Shake | Thick & Refreshing
- Chocolate, Banana, Peanut Butter Protein Shake
- Almond Butter, Chocolate & Coffee Bean Protein Shake
- Green Protein Smoothie | With Baby Spinach & Coconut Milk
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Protein Smoothie
This post contains affiliate links for products I use regularly and highly recommend.
Ever heard of a banana date shake? If not, you are in for a treat! This 10-min drink is sure to become one of your go-to shake recipes. 4 Ingredients, insanely healthy, and filling. A creamy delicious treat!
- 2 cup unsweetened almond milk or milk of choice
- 4 large Medjool dates pitted and chopped
- 2 large frozen bananas
- optional: freshly grated nutmeg for garnish
Add all ingredients to a blender.
Blend until smooth. Can add ice to thicken, if needed.
Pour into large glasses and sprinkle nutmeg over the top, if desired.
13 thoughts on “Banana Date Shake | Simple, Sweet, And Good For You”
Missed these 🙂 was fun to drive out there.
I tried cooking the banana date shake and guess what, the outcome was so awesome. Thank you for the nice recipe.
i can’t wait to cook my own ‘Banana Date Shake’it seem very Delicious.This might be wonderful meals for my children,since they love bananas.
Date shakes really are good. Jordan seems to like them, but she does love her desserts
Aren’t they? Yes, she is a little girl who enjoys her desserts 🙂
My Aunt lives in the Palm Springs area and introduced me to date shakes. Soooooo good. I haven’t been to visit her there in a long time and had totally forgotten about them.
Aren’t they so good, Errin? Thanks for sharing!
Oooh yum! I agree-Blue Bell ice cream is the best for this 🙂
Right? We are definite Blue Bell lovers in our house.
Hey, I actually HAVE had one of these! We drank them at a little fruit stand in Kauai on our Hawaii vacation last May. They called this one “A Date with Fate” and they were wonderful. I love the little bits of date you get in each sip. I can’t wait to make these for TCP and surprise him. Thanks, Lacey!
I agree — the little bits of date make it super tasty. The ice cream doesn’t hurt, though, either! 😉 I hope you all enjoy them!
Lacy, Jordan is absolutely precious and these banana date shakes look wonderful! Can’t wait to meet baby Savannah. Hang in there 🙂
Comments are closed.