Ever heard of a Banana Date Shake?
If not: man, are you in for a treat!
I’m not certain, but I believe Banana Date Shakes originated from the Palm Springs, California area, where they are known for their dates and date trees. There are several storefronts along the Palm Dessert area, most notably Shields Date Garden and Hadley Fruit Orchards, that are known for their fresh date shakes. Now, you can get a plain date shake if you wish, but something special happens when you combine bananas and dates.
I can remember driving through Palm Dessert as a kid — we always stopped to get date shakes. It was like a rule or something.
As an adult, Dustin and I made sure to get our deliciously sweet, cool and smooth Banana Date Shake fixes as often as possible. Palm Springs was just a two-or-so hour drive from San Diego, so we made a few trips that way.
Well, as you know, we now live in Austin, Texas — a far cry away from our beloved Banana Date Shakes.
I wanted to make sure we all kept a piece of that beautiful Palm Dessert fresh in our memories, specifically Jordan who will not remember visiting unless we make it back sometime when she’s older.
So, I decided to make Lacey’s Banana Date Shakes for us all to enjoy.
And we did. And we will.
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 large Medjool dates pitted and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups good quality vanilla ice cream (I recommend my Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream
- or Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla if you buy it)
- 1 ripe banana
- optional: freshly grated nutmeg for garnish
- Add milk and dates to a blender and pulse to break up dates into tiny pieces. Add ice cream and banana (broken apart) and blend on high until well-blended. Add a little milk if too thick or a little ice cream if too thin.
- Pour into large glasses and sprinkle nutmeg over the top, if desired.