A healthier way to enjoy cinnamon rolls? Yes, please! This post shares how to make a heavenly cinnamon roll protein shake that'll make you think it's already Christmas...
Aren't cinnamon rolls just the best thing ever?
There's something about them that just screams holidays, family celebrations, and warm hugs. Or am I getting too sentimental?
These sweet rolls of goodness are a crowd favorite, and they always will be. I love them!
But as you probably know, traditional cinnamon rolls aren't the healthiest thing in the world. That's why I set out to find a way to devour this delicious treat without all the additional sugar, fat, and calories.
Introducing, The Cinnamon Roll Protein Shake! It's your beloved morning roll in healthy shake form, and it tastes good. Very good.
It follows a similar premise as my other protein shakes (such as my Chocolate Banana Peanut Butter Protein Shake or this Blueberry Protein Shake). It's going to fill you up in the mornings and keep you going until lunchtime.
Read on to get all the details you need to create this delightful drink.
Is This Cinnamon Roll Protein Shake Healthy?
This recipe is healthy and uses a lot of my favorite ingredients (banana, Greek yogurt, and oats).
I'm so impressed with the benefits of protein in one's daily food regimen that Dustin and I created cleanish Brand Protein Powder so that we (and you!) can boost our protein intake daily — and easily!
What else? Here's what:
- Protein supports muscle and bone growth.
Taking the recommended daily amount of protein can help your body with bone development and muscle growth. Getting enough protein also covers the healing and repairing of muscles, especially after strains or injuries.
- It is a high energy source.
Protein is responsible for building and repairing tissues, which can help boost your energy levels in the long run.
- Protein improves your immune system.
You can also strengthen your immune system by getting more protein. Getting adequate amounts helps your immune system produce antibodies that protect you against infections.
The sad thing is, not everybody is getting enough protein. Are you? Check out these signs to know if you are lacking protein.
What Makes It Taste Like a Cinnamon Roll?
After making my Healthy Cinnamon Rolls with Maple Greek Yogurt Glaze for years, I know a thing or two about the taste. In this recipe, each ingredient is carefully chosen to taste as close to my cinnamon rolls as possible.
Here are the hard hitters that deliver the delectable flavor:
- Oats: Oats do an excellent job of thickening the consistency of the shake. For me, they also represent the soft dough in this recipe.
- Cinnamon: Well yeah, this one is obvious.
- Greek or vegan yogurt: This acts like tangy cream cheese frosting.
- Almond butter: To create a rich buttery taste
Try adding a little maple syrup, too. A little creativity goes a long way when it comes to healthily satisfying our sweet tooth.
Is It Good To Put Cinnamon In Your Protein Shake?
Absolutely! It’s a great idea to put cinnamon in your protein shake.
Let’s talk about the flavor first — cinnamon is known to taste sweet, rich, warm, and also a bit spicy. The fact that it’s so aromatic lends itself well to a full sensory experience (we like those!).
Aside from it tasting so good, this spice can also bring many health benefits:
- Cinnamon can protect your body from oxidative damage and disease because it contains a lot of antioxidants, which have anti-inflammatory properties.
- It can help lower blood sugar levels and can help decrease blood pressure in people with prediabetes and type 2 diabetes.
- Cinnamon can boost your metabolism by allowing the insulin hormone to do its job (of regulating metabolism) and blocking insulin resistance.
Want to know more about the benefits of cinnamon? I wrote a whole post about it! Read about the 8 Benefits of Cinnamon | And The Best Recipes
Is A Cinnamon Roll Protein Shake Good For Weight Loss?
Yes, this shake is good for weight loss mainly because it keeps you full on clean ingredients.
We all know the hangry feeling of wanting (no, needing) to satisfy our hunger, especially directly after a workout or stressful situation. Often, we reach for the first treat that we can find—Generally something high carb and high fat.
Trust me, taking a few more minutes to whip up this satisfying protein shake will both reduce your appetite and make you feel way better (for hours). If you make these kinds of decisions consistently, you'll be well on your way to weight loss.
Aside from this, a low-calorie / high-protein diet is proven to help with weight loss. As well as help boost your metabolism.
What Can I Put In My Protein Shake To Fill Me Up?
What’s GREAT about protein shakes is that they fill you up instantly. And you won't be hungry again for a good long while.
Here are the ingredients that I commonly add to my protein shakes for this filling factor:
- Greek yogurt and milk are good sources of protein and can help thicken the consistency of a protein shake.
- Oats and bananas can also help fill you up because they are high in fiber.
- Protein Powder
Feeling in the mood for something more fruity? Try my Strawberry Protein Shake | With Honey and Greek Yogurt
What Kind of Protein Powder Should I Use?
Made with pea protein, our protein powder flavors have milled flaxseed and chia protein powder added for extra goodness. Wanna know more about protein powder? Read The 4 Best Protein Powders and How to Choose a Good One.
More Tasty Protein Shake Recipes
I'm a big fan of protein shakes (if it isn't apparent yet). Thus, I have a ton of other recipes that you can try.
Of course, you can't expect to have the same cravings every time, so I made sure to add different options. I've got shake recipes with chocolate, fruit, peanut butter, yogurt, and even coffee. Enjoy!
- Chocolate Banana Peanut Butter Protein Shake
- Blueberry Protein Shake
- Peach Protein Shake
- Banana Protein Shake
- Strawberry Protein Shake (With Honey and Greek Yogurt)
- Coffee Protein Shake (With Creamy Almond Butter)
This post contains affiliate links to products I use regularly and highly recommend.
Cinnamon Roll Protein Shake
*This post may contain affiliate links for products I use often and highly recommend.
- 1 cup almond milk or milk of choice
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- ½ frozen banana
- ¼ cup oats
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt, or vegan yogurt
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6-8 ice cubes
- 2 teaspoon maple syrup
- Add all ingredients to a blender and process until smooth.